2010 Oscars

dc20willsave

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man! This will be the first year in a long time that I'll actually care about the Oscars!

District 9, The Hurt Locker, and Inglourious Basterds for Best Picture.

Jeremy Renner for Leading Role, and Christoph Waltz for Supporting.

Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino for Director.

And The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds for Original Screenplay.

As long as Avatar takes none of the major awards, I'll be very happy!

I personally don't quite get why Up was nominated for both Best Picture AND Best Animated Picture, and think that it should just be in Best Picture and switch it out for Ponyo in best animated picture, but that's just me.

Anyways, here's what I'm gunning for:

Best Picture: Up or Inglourious Basterds

Leading Actor: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Supporting Actor: Christopher Waltz

Leading Actress: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Supporting Actress: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Animated Film: Coraline or Princess and the Frog

Art Direction: Haven't seen it, but the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (though I will give Avatar a win here)

Cinematography: Inglourious Basterds

Costume Design: Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus or the Young Victoria (haven't seen either)

Directing: Inglourious Basterds

Documentary Feature: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Documentary Short: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Film Editing: Inglourious Basterds or District 9

Foreign Language Film: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Makeup: I'd be fine with either Star Trek or the Young Victoria

Music Score: Up

Music Song: Either "Down in New Orleans" or "Almost There"

Short Film Animated: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Short Film: Haven't seen any of these, can't judge

Sound Editing: Star Trek

Sound Mixing: Inglourious Basterds

Visual Effects: District 9, though I'd give Avatar a win on this

Writing (Adapted): District 9

Writing (Original): Inglourious Basterds or Up

Suave, to be fait, Avatar was only nominated in two of the major categories (Picture and Director). It's also tied with The Hurt Locker which has been snatching up a lot of the awards that usually can be gauged for what will win there. Avatar will win some of the technical awards but James Cameron has enough bad will against him among the voters where I doubt his chances of winning a second directing Oscar.

Suave, to be fait, Avatar was only nominated in two of the major categories (Picture and Director). It's also tied with The Hurt Locker which has been snatching up a lot of the awards that usually can be gauged for what will win there. Avatar will win some of the technical awards but James Cameron has enough bad will against him among the voters where I doubt his chances of winning a second directing Oscar.

Well, I hope that, and the imaginarium of Dr Parnassus win nothing past visual, as Dr Parnassus is an awful film, that looks sort of nice in places.

Okay, so I have a weird social media assignment that I'm doing today and my topic is the Oscar nominations. Is anyone available to do an interview over facebook messenger? I'll be available on both for the next hour.

i'm desreddick on Skype if you want to chat through IM there.

Best Picture:

What I Want to Win: Inglourious Basterds

What I Think Will Win:The Hurt Locker or Avatar

Best Actor:

Who I Want To Win: Jeff Bridges

Who I Think Will Win: Jeff Bridges or Morgan Freeman

Best Supporting Actor:

Who I Want To Win: Christoph Waltz

Who I Think Will Win: Christoph Waltz

Best Actress:

Who I Want To Win: Helen Mirren

Who I Think Will Win: Gabourey Sidibe (Given the Academy's hard-on for "non-traditional" newcomers) or Sandra Bullock

Best Supporting Actress

Who I Want To Win: Could not care less about this one.

Who I Think Will Win: Um. Mo'nique.

Best Animated Feature:

What I Want To Win: Up

What I Think Will Win: Up

As for the others? I see Avatar picking up a bunch of technical awards. Hurt Locker should win for Directing. I'd love to see D9 take the adapted screenplay, and think that "A Serious Man" will take original screenplay, even though it shouldn't.

• 1 month later...

My predictions mixed with what I want:

Best Picture:

The Hurt Locker (haven't even seen it yet but I both think it will win and want it to just so she can beat out Cameron)

Actor in a Leading Role:

Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart (same here. Give him the career appreciation award like Scorsese got)

Actor in a Supporting Role:

Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds (if anyone beats him, it'll invalidate the award as far as I'm concerned)

Actress in a Leading Role:

? I have not seen any of these films and don't necessarily care to

Actress in a Supporting Role:

Mo’Nique, Precious (from what I hear, she'll get it. Same for this category as far as not caring about it)

Animated Feature Film:

Up (again, don't care but Up will win)

Best Director:

Avatar, James Cameron (I have a feeling Cameron will take it)

The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow (want Bigelow to win though)

Adapted Screenplay:

District 9, Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell

Original Screenplay:

Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino (be nice to see him get the nod for this one)

Art Direction:

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (deserves to)

Cinematography:

The White Ribbon, Christian Berger (I don't know who will win - as long as it's for real cinematography and not the kind that takes place in front of a green screen with no worries about lighting - but it would be nice to see Haneke get SOME props)

Film Editing:

District 9, Julian Clarke (beautifully edited mixing various types of film stock and original footage, totally deserves it and will probably get it)

Foreign Language Film:

The White Ribbon, Germany (only one I've seen, but it deserves it)

Sound Editing:

Inglourious Basterds (great sound in this one but I have a feeling Star Trek or Avatar will take it)

Sound Mixing:

Inglourious Basterds (ditto for this one)

Visual Effects:

District 9 (looks better than the other two on a fraction of the budget, but Avatar will probably win)

There is word that Hurt Locker and Avatar have split the votes too much opening it up for Basterds or Up to sneak in for Best Picture. I'm actually really interested for the outcome of the Special Effects award. D9 is amazing considering their budget, but Avatar is the obvious one.

As long as Avatar loses picture and director, I'll be happy.

Making predictions:

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique is a lock. I don't think anyone could upset her at this point.

Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Waltz will probably win. Christopher Plummer might win if the voters decide to go with honoring a career which is a commonality.

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock will probably win but there's always a chance that enough people voted for Meryl that it upsets and allows someone else to sneak in.

Best Actor: Almost definitely Jeff Bridges BUT Morgan Freeman is in there and Colin Firth was such a terrific performance in "A Single Man" so I dunno.

Best Animated Feature: It'll be Up. I'm cheering for Coraline but it'll be Up.

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow won the Director's Guild Award. She'll win here.

Best Original Screenplay: If Hurt Locker is sweeping all night, then it'll win here. If not, Inglorious Basterds.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Precious or In the Loop. I can see them going with In The Loop.

Best Picture: The thing to keep in mind is that they're doing Best Picture voting different this year. You're actually ranking out your choices from 1 to 10. From that point, the votes are tallied. If one movie has an outright majority (More than 50%) it wins. That's unlikely. The movie with the lowest tally gets eliminated and it's ballots get distributed to the it's number two choices. If no fifty percent there, then the process repeats until there is. Inglorious Basterds therefore actually has a huge chance. It got nominated in almost all the predecessor awards. It's going to be in a lot of the voters top three and there are some voters who didn't care for Avatar or The Hurt Locker which are the ones to beat. Those voters will probably put one or the other low so if there choices get knocked out early, those number one and two votes of Inglorious Basterds will add up quickly. If we have a huge upset anywhere, I think this will be the category. I'm going to eat these words later but Inglorious Basterds will win.

Oh, Tina Fey is a presenter this year. So is Babs. This is going to be spectacular.