Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

Well, the AV Club interview has your answer:

The A.V. Club: As a showrunner, how do you talk to Standards And Practices about a scene where a guy cuts off his own face and eats his own nose?

Bryan Fuller: [Laughs.] There was a heads-up that we called in, and Joanna Jameson, who is our executive that covers Hannibal, has been incredible for teaching us how we can get away with what we want to get away with, while still coloring within the lines of Standards And Practices. It started with an email to her about how we have this nasty bit of business where somebody’s going to cut off their face and continue to have a conversation about it in the process, and we want to make sure we are vivid and true to the source material, which all happened in a bit of a flashback, so I knew, creatively, that we were going to be doing something slightly different than how it was presented in the novel, because circumstances were slightly different. She basically advised us that darkness is our friend, and as much as we wanted to show could be shown as long as it was in silhouette. For me, I knew that I didn’t want to have Michael Pitt with half of his face hanging off for most of the scene, because then it kind of loses its value. So, it became the negotiation of why not have him doing most of this stuff in the shadow and then step forward into illumination where you can just see the staggering level of damage that he’s done to himself.
When we submitted it, I don’t think we got dinged on that scene. The scene that we got dinged on in that episode was when Will Graham cuts Hannibal’s throat in the fantasy sequence, when he’s thinking about what he wants to have happen from telling Mason Verger that Hannibal wants to kill him. We had one shot in there that went on too long, in terms of the wave of arterial spray that was coming out of Hannibal’s neck. That was the one we got bumped on in that episode, but not any of the face carving.

In other news, man, turns out you can get away with a LOT.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So arterial spray has a limit, face eating seems fine. I don't understand how censorship works, I really don't.

In the US, all that is fine, as long as it doesn't look like somewhere, off in the distance, a woman looks like she's enjoying sex.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap."

"And what would that be, sir?"
"My muscles."

Wow...Just watched the Person of Interest finale for this season.

While I feel the show stumbled a little bit this season with a little bit too much going on, THAT was one of the more finely crafted hours of television I've ever seen.

Where the fuck do they go from here?

Jonah Hex is not awful. Boring and long for its 73-minutes, yes. But I did not hate it.

I dunno. If there's one thing the internet has taught me, it's that movies can only either be Dark Knight-amazing or Phantom Menace-terrible. This "middle ground" is a mere myth.

The middle ground isn't a mere myth, but Jonah Hex is pretty darn turgid.

Goyer has some interesting things to say about comics and their fans.

This just feels so indicative of DCs media strategy, that this is who's in charge of their big building blocks for the cinematic universe.

As if Warner Bros. needed even more against them. His thoughts on Martian Manhunter fans stunned me. DC needs this like they need a hole in their head.

The more I hear from David Goyer the more I realize he's a massive problem that needs to be cut away from DC's films. The sooner Warner Bros. realizes that the better.

Kevin Feige has said before that the biggest distinctive factor between the Marvel films that didn't work (Daredevil [theatrical version], Fantastic Four, Elektra) and the ones that did (Spider-Man, Iron Man) was that the creative people behind the good films genuinely believed in the strength of the source material, while the bad movies had people constantly second-guessing and changing the story because they didn't believe in it. Goyer clearly doesn't entirely believe in DC's characters and their stories. He made Superman more like Batman and Spider-Man in Man of Steel, and he apparently can't even understand why Martian Manhunter is cool. If a storyteller can't understand why Martian Manhunter is a fascinating character, he shouldn't be anywhere near superhero stories.

Because of Blade? I don't buy it. Blade might have his roots in the Marvel universe, but he's closer to Van Helsing and Buffy than Spider-Man. I seriously doubt anyone saw Blade and said, "oh, well if that worked on-screen, Spider-Man totally will."

Now, if you want to argue that without Goyer and Blade we wouldn't have the Underworld series, then sure.