JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the service I receive from Amazon Prime video, but I will be the first to admit that it doesn't have the deepest of libraries. So when they send out an email proclaiming their pride in securing the streaming rights to 'What a Girl Wants', one of the worst in-flight movies I've ever had the misfortune to experience, I know that they're scraping the barrel a bit.

I watched Soylent Green for the first time last night and was really impressed by it. One of its biggest strengths, which is dictated by the premise really, is that the future doesn't look very sci-fi. It taps into the "present day, but further downhill" aesthetic that made Blade Runner so stunning a decade later. Another is that Charlton Heston's character Thorn really feels like someone who grew up during these conditions and has a completely different worldview. From little things like his reaction to seeing a bar of soap to how he behaves around people while doing his job, the characterization helps the world feel like a fully realized one. Edward G. Robinson's death scene is hauntingly beautiful and I loved how it was reused at the end. While there's the "Soylent Green is people" reveal that everyone knows, I think the darkest aspect of it is the role of women as literal pieces of furniture. I'm kind of amazed that such a perceptive metaphor for how society views women is in a film from 1973.

I think the darkest aspect of it is the role of women as literal pieces of furniture. I'm kind of amazed that such a perceptive metaphor for how society views women is in a film from 1973.

I remember hearing that this was the first movie to show a video game, computer space, whose ads looked like....

computer-space-arcade-ad-1970s-01.jpg