Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm an adult and I love that show, even if it is a little heavy handed with the lessons.

I re-watched Boy Meets World beforehand and the heavy handed lessons are pretty much in line with the original, specially the middle school years.

And I gotta say, I don't like the trend of this season bringing back people. Yeah, it is cool to see Mr. Turner show up and all, but it's started to feel like a reunion show rather than a sequel. Half this season has been guest star episodes. Seems a bit much.

• 2 weeks later...

GAH. Okay, okay, okay. So for the past couple months, Ron Perlman's been banging the drum that there should be a Hellboy 3. Now, he says that he doesn't want to make Hellboy 3 but he feels that they're "obligated to finish the story." I'm so sick of this idea that every fandom deserves to be placated just because they're fans. Sometimes TV shows only get a season and sometimes movie franchises "only" get two movies. So it goes.

True Detective finale is a lot to unpack. A lot.

Overall, (I know I'm in the minority, here) it was a much better season than the first. It did a lot of amazing things with the plot that a mystery never really does (restarting halfway through? Bonkers!) and quite wonderfully wrapped occultism and stuff like Bohemian Grove all in a non-supernatural way. Potent.

Great acting all-around. Everyone.

The one thing season one has over it is the chemistry between Harrelson and McConaughey which is nowhere to be found here. Completely different season though.

Finished it today. I didn't hate this season, but I thought it was very uneven and definitely not as strong as the first season. I thought the acting was pretty great all around with the main cast, Vince Vaughn really surprised me, but the characters weren't across the board. Pizzoatto's interest really seemed to be on Ray and Frank, who were the most interesting characters, which made Ani and Paul's stories ultimately lacking. I also think it lost something by not having every episode directed by a talented director like Fukunaga; there were definite high points like the shoot out and the finale, but some of those episodes looked really cheap. Matthew McConaughey's acting talent and character made Pizzolatto's more out there dialogue work, but Frank's hard-boiled gangster lines and just inane shit like "blue balls in your heart" fell completely flat this time around. I did like that it retained the sense of failure in the grand scheme of things that season one had.