Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Handmaid's Tale's first three episodes are up, and goddamn, they are not hesitating to go in hard on this. 

Episode 1: The particicution was way more brutal than I was expecting, and being rape shamed while Margaret Atwood pushed them on as an Aunt was intense.

Episode 3: Ofglen is queer, she is gagged the entire episode, she attempts to stroke off one of the guards and is beaten, she and her lover among the Marthas are convicted on the testimony of one man, and her lover is hung by a crane in front of her eyes, and she undergoes involuntary female circumcision to "cure her".

Edited by Venneh

My Cousin Vinny does a suburb job on so many levels, it's amazing. However:

• Oh my god! The Dutch angles! Stop it!
  • Much of the music is downright distracting.
  • The whole Jerry Gallo / Jerry Callo subplot is useless, and those antics would get everyone thrown in jail and the verdict dismissed.

Other than that, I adore this movie and make the time to rewatch it every few years.

The scene in the bar where Vinny keeps getting distracted by the guy in the neck brace, and his reaction to learning the guy fell in his own home, is so minor to the overall movie that one could cut it, but it tells you so much about Vinny. Love that moment.

Loving Vikings. Just good old fashioned Game of Thrones methadone with a slow but not ponderous pace dictated by seasonal raiding cycles. It's not really into its sexploitaton either, sex is there but doesn't feel like a focal point for the show. It's mostly just about culture clashes, responsibility and violence.

It's not a can't miss show but it does what it does well, and to a higher standard than I expected.

Well yes. The show pace is literally dictated by the pattern of raiding on the English coast. Each raid is multiple episodes per season and requires similar lead up and recover periods. It's what drives the entire thing. I was being very literal.

Well yes. The show pace is literally dictated by the pattern of raiding on the English coast. Each raid is multiple episodes per season and requires similar lead up and recover periods. It's what drives the entire thing. I was being very literal.

Ah, I literally thought it was a joke about television seasonal rating cycles.

• 2 weeks later...