Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

A more cynical part of me realizes that revealing there even were buy-out talks could be a tactic on Fox's part, whether to give their stock an increase or to force a conversation in an attempt to get Disney back to the table.

Regardless, only way I would really be okay with this is if Fox is allowed to exist like Pixar, Lucsfilm, and Marvel and be allowed to make decisions for itself. This is mainly since Fox Searchlight tends to give many indy films a home.

I might also be alright if it meant that Die Hard 6 takes place at Disney World.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Koete said:

That wouldn't be very Canadian of you. 

"That's a very nice 'comedy' show you've got there dear," is something my mother would say, and she's very Canadian.

This show has allowed Andy Kindler to somehow achieve his dream and play a very stereotypical manager from a bad 80s sitcom. I don't know how they got him. His flight must have first been diverted to Winnipeg due to some horrible chance of it exploding midair, and then the terrible weather in Winnipeg must have made it so he was stuck there for a week or something and someone asked him to do a thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just watched Colossal. I loved the first half of the movie. Anne Hathaway's charcter's life falls apart and she is an alcoholic and then is tied to this monster in Korea and it is a pretty good metaphor and all that. Then halfway through the monster plot is resolved and Jason Sudekis' character, who was super low key kinda a creep in the first part, because the husband from every Lifetime movie. It goes from a neat twist on a kaiju movie to Sleeping With the Enemy. I did not like the second half of this movie at all.

They posted the pilot for Heathers online early.

I was expecting a dumpster fire. It had multiple moments that it was teetering on the edge, ready to fall to that point. Then, it somehow doused itself and proved to be competent.

Like, Fuck. I actually want to watch Episode 2 to see where they go with this.

1 hour ago, dc20willsave said:

They posted the pilot for Heathers online early.

I was expecting a dumpster fire. It had multiple moments that it was teetering on the edge, ready to fall to that point. Then, it somehow doused itself and proved to be competent.

Like, Fuck. I actually want to watch Episode 2 to see where they go with this.

After the trailer hit, everyone (including myself) flipped out when it was revealed that The Heathers / bullies were the gay, gender-nonconforming, and minority teenagers. Is it as bad as the trailer portrayed, or do they make it work without being overly offensive?

4 minutes ago, The Master said:

After the trailer hit, everyone (including myself) flipped out when it was revealed that The Heathers / bullies were the gay, gender-nonconforming, and minority teenagers. Is it as bad as the trailer portrayed, or do they make it work without being overly offensive?

Putting the response in spoilers in case anyone cares.

Spoiler

Yes and no. The Heathers are still bullies though, like in the movie, Heather Chandler (Overweight Heather) is the main one here. However, the way she goes about it is kind of different. She publicly shames one of the two big jocks for wearing a racist shirt then forces him to humiliate himself for penance. Later, it kind of becomes obvious that she doesn't care and by the end, you can tell she's in this for fame/acceptance. That said, he reason for falling out with Veronica isn't so much, "We went to a party and you embaressed me" as it is Veronica calling Heather fat and humiliating her. It's kind of understandable. Heather Duke (Gender-queer Heather) is the closer to being a bully of the other two but since the first episode is basically just the first 30 minutes or so of the original movie, we never get that much. Plus, saying this a gay guy, most of us love drama.

The other thing that offsets the Heathers' bullying is that this school is kind of diverse, especially for Ohio. There's a gay table at the lunch table. Fuck, one of the two jocks (i.e. Ram and Kurt) is gay (if we ever get "I Love My Dead Gay Son" it's gonna be really this time I guess). Betty Finn is Asian. Also, less just standing off to the side doing nothing also.

Where it surprised me is that they're set up by the 30-minute mark to basically be the original movie only with more current references (literally, that first 30 minutes reeks of an attempt to be  like the original movie) and then it goes left field. They're setting up Heather Duke to become the new main Heather when Betty Finn (Veronica's old best friend) comes in and takes it  This is followed up by revealing that Heather Chandler isn't dead and realizes that her "suicide" video made national news.

If anything, the worst part of the pilot is the teachers lounge. We get some prime old white man that is just uncomfortable to listen to. Then again, all the adults are bad people. The guidance counselor is still transparently White Feminism at it's worst. The principal is a bigot. One of the teachers is having sex with one of the Heathers. Veronica's parents sit around staring at iPads, showing each other pictures of the poor people in Africa then missing the point by pitying the dog in one of the pictures. JD's dad is somehow worse (instead of doing demolitions, he's a frakker and just an over-all shit head.

So, I'm giving it a second episode mainly because it's trying to do something interesting instead of playing it safe and sticking to the original. Also, since she's listed as a regular character, I really want to see what they're going to do with Shannon Dorherty's character considering the way she gets introduced.

On some level, I hate movies like Death Wish, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

Not for what they are, but for the real-world paranoia they reinforce.

Freddy Kruger got away because someone forgot to sign a search warrant in the right place. Riiiiiight. I am more able to suspend my disbelief at the existence of a dream demon than that idiotic legal fiction - and the idiotic legal fiction is worse because people believe it happens in the real world.

Hint: It doesn't.

I'm stopping here before I get into a political rant.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:22 PM, S-T said:

On some level, I hate movies like Death Wish, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

Not for what they are, but for the real-world paranoia they reinforce.

Freddy Kruger got away because someone forgot to sign a search warrant in the right place. Riiiiiight. I am more able to suspend my disbelief at the existence of a dream demon than that idiotic legal fiction - and the idiotic legal fiction is worse because people believe it happens in the real world.

Hint: It doesn't.

I'm stopping here before I get into a political rant.

That always bugged me about ANOES. For a movie that is otherwise pretty flawless, it's a huge sticking point that could have been fixed with a quick re-draft of the screenplay. The parents find out it's him before the police arrest him? Sure. He gets off on an insanity plea and is intercepted before being committed? I mean, ok. The parent lynch mob storms the police station? There have been stupider things in movies. All of these are better options.