Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There will be no more Rambo movies. Sly is instead working on turning Expendables into a franchise.

But....but the trailer said it was the first and ONLY time that these legendary action stars would get together!!! The trailers wouldn't lie......would they?

Joking aside, The Expendables sounds like a great one-off film idea rather than a franchise of increasingly aging action stars, of whom some (most) are already past their prime.

Who got in the best shape for a movie role?

Most of those didn't do anything different. Jessica Alba didn't have to "get in shape" for Fantastic 4. She always looked like that. For me, Demi Moore and Linda Hamilton went above and beyond what anyone else did for a movie. Having Zoe Saldana on that list for Avatar made it lose all it's credibility anyways and just became another "look at hot girls" list.

Honestly, I would say most male leads work harder to get in to shape for a role then most women. And by that I mean that in their normal life, most female celebrities stay in shape far more than guys do, so 'getting in shape for a role' would take a lot more effort for a guy. Some examples would be.

- Hugh Jackman, X-Men. The guy woke up in the middle of the night to ensure he ate every 4 hrs to keep his metabolism up.

- Most of the guys from 300. Seriously, look at them pre that movie and then in it. They crunched some serious abs.

- Christian Bale, The Machinist. Dude faded away to a shadow for that role. When asked how he did it, "easy, whenever I got hungry, I drank water". And then going from that to Batman Begins in under 12 months can't be healthy for you.

Yeah, the guys have it a lot tougher since they aren't expected to look that great between movies. They then have to work hard leading up to roles. The women are expected to have hot bodies just going to the grocery store, so they are constantly working out/plastic surgery/bulimia/drugs.

What Bale did for The Machinist wasn't getting in shape, it was just wrong.

Yeah, the guys have it a lot tougher since they aren't expected to look that great between movies. They then have to work hard leading up to roles. The women are expected to have hot bodies just going to the grocery store, so they are constantly working out/plastic surgery/bulimia/drugs.

What Bale did for The Machinist wasn't getting in shape, it was just wrong.

It was fucking dedication.

Ditto what Preston said. Christian Bale is a fantastically dedicated actor. If you see Christian Bale in, say, Velvet Goldmine where he's very fem at times and then in 1999's A Midsummer Night's Dream, the guy isn't skinny but he's far from buff. Then he bulked up like mad for American Psycho, tried some more traditional roles then lost most of his body mass for The Machinist before bulking back up for Batman Begins. The man helps it all by being a terrific actor.

Tom Hanks didn't get Aids to do Philadelphia and he was great in it. I think there is something wrong with Christian Bale. He gets too into his roles, and is willing to harm his body for them. He basically goes from an anorexic to a body builder. That's not dedication, that's crazy.

Tom Hanks didn't get Aids to do Philadelphia and he was great in it. I think there is something wrong with Christian Bale. He gets too into his roles, and is willing to harm his body for them. He basically goes from an anorexic to a body builder. That's not dedication, that's crazy.

DeNiro put on 50 some pounds for Raging Bull.

If it's what the part takes, that's what the part takes. Luckily for Bale, the more he gets paid for the movie, the less effort he puts in, so he should be okay for a while.

I'd rather have an actor who gets really into the role than one who shows up, gets his check, and leaves. So, as long as he doesn't kill himself doing it, then by all means, let Christian Bale keep doing such roles. Hell, most studios would have tried doing it with CGI or something. The man took the role, not for a big paycheck, but because it was a movie he believed in which, also quite frankly, is something we don't get enough of. If more actors only took roles they believed in, they we sure as hell wouldn't have had half of the romantic comedy dreck or stupid mind-numbing action films we get. So yeah, give me "crazy" Christian Bale anyday.

There's the story told about an exchange Sir Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman had during the filming of MARATHON MAN. To prepare for a scene where his character had been up all night with no sleep, Hoffman did in fact stay up all night and reported to work on set looking like a wreck. Olivier, upon seeing him, exclaimed; "Dear boy, you look horrible! What happened to you?" Hoffman explained he'd stayed up all night to get in character.

Olivier said to him that there was an easier way to achieve the effect Hoffman was looking for. "What's that?" Hoffman asked.

Olivier's answer: "It's called acting."

I'm with Sir Larry on this one. I think we've gotten to a point where there are really 2 types of professionals in Hollywood.

1. Actors: People who actually slip in and out of their characters.

2. Performers or method acting.

I'm always dubious of method acting winning awards, as it seems like 'less' an accomplishment as an actor to do that. As a performance, it can still be riveting and of a high quality, but is there as much 'acting'...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...