Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

NBC is getting in the ring with a put pilot commitment to a drama about the 1980s professional wrestling boom that is executive produced by one of the biggest ’90s wrestling stars, Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock. The fictional drama set in the world of wrestling in the ’80s hails from Bruckheimer TV, marking a departure from the company’s signature brand of procedurals. It will be written by Brent Fletcher and Seamus Kevin Fahey (Spartacus: Gods of the Arena), who will co-executive produce alongside KristieAnne Reed. Johnson, Bruckheimer and Jonathan Littman are executive producing.

The ’80s, often called “the golden age of wrestling”, marked a surge in the popularity of professional wrestling in the U.S. fueled by the growth of cable television and pay-per-view and the efforts of hot-shot promoters like Vince McMahon. During that period, pro wrestling shifted from a system controlled by numerous regional companies to a system dominated by two nationwide companies: Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling and McMahon’s World Wrestling Federation. It featured the launch of WrestleMania and the emergence of wrestling’s first crop of superstars led by Hulk Hugan. The project extends the popularity of period dramas among the broadcast networks, which have two such series, the 1960s-set Pan Am on ABC and The Playboy Club on NBC, premiering this fall. It also expands wrestling’s presence at NBCUniversal. NBC’s sibling network USA carries WWE Raw as well as the revival of WWE Tough Enough. This is the third sale and third put pilot commitment for Bruckheimer TV so far this development season. The company recently set up a Navy SEALs drama at ABC and a procedural about a mom-turned-New York State Trooper at CBS. Fahey previously worked with Bruckheimer TV as a writer on the ABC series The Forgotten.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/nbc-buys-1980s-wrestling-drama-produced-by-dwayne-johnson-and-jerry-bruckheimer/#more-162088

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a heads up that a film I executive produced is going to be on sale starting Friday of Labour Day Weekend. Evil Bong 3D: The Wrath of Bong will be available for the first time outside of the Evil Bong box set that weekend so you don't have to waste your money on the clearly inferior first two films in the Evil Bong trilogy. www.fullmoondirect.com

That is all.

Hmm.

The first quiet "no" is actually pretty badass. Like "get the hell away from my son, motherfucker." The second one is kind of overblown.

When I first saw ROTJ as a kid, I remember thinking that Vader was eerily silent during that sequence, and it felt odd. So it kind of fits to a certain extent. At the same time, the scene didn't "need" it, and tinkering with an already-great film is rarely a good idea. Of course, on the other hand again, while ROTS's much-hated "NO" was one of the worst parts of the prequels, this does bring Vader's story full-circle. He screams "no" out of despair when he's transformed into Vader, then later says "no" when he finally breaks free of the Dark Side and Palpatine's control.

The more I think about it, the more I actually like it. And it's not my Star Wars superfandom coming through or anything; I HATE that Han no longer shoots first, I don't like that Boba Fett now sounds like Jango, and I audibly sigh with frustration every time I think about Hayden Christensen's ghost appearing at the end of ROTJ. (*SIGH*) But this change I kinda like.

The Obi-Wan yell (which is supposed to be him imitating a Krayt dragon) was already changed once. Originally, it was a simple library sound often used in cartoons of that era; it wasn't anything to write home about. By the time the special editions rolled around in 97, either the sound had been deemed too low-quality or Lucasfilm had lost the rights to use it in new versions of the film. The second version sounded like a weird whistle/wail that was an improvement, but still didn't sound like anything a human voice could make. This final version still sounds a bit out-there, but it works a little bit better.

Universal Gets Russell Crowe And Hugh Jackman For ‘Les Miserables,’ Sets December 7, 2012 Release

By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday September 8, 2011 @ 6:52pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: Universal has landed Russell Crowe to play Javert to Hugh Jackman’s Jean Valjean in Les Miserables, the live-action adaptation of the Cameron Mackintosh-produced stage musical that will be helmed by The King’s Speech director Tom Hooper. Universal has slotted the film for release on December 7, 2012, right in the center of Oscar season.

The film is produced by Working Title Films’ partners Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan, along with Mackintosh and Debra Hayward. Liza Chasin is exec producer. William Nicholson wrote the script based on the classic novel and the stage play. The music is by Claude-Michel Schoenberg and Alain Boublil. Said Mackintosh: “Even though I have dreamt about making the film of Les Miserables for over 25 years, I could never have imagined that we would end up with the dream director Tom Hooper, and the dream cast of Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe as the two great protagonists Jean Valjean and Javert. Not only were they born to play these roles vocally, but they thrillingly inhabit this great score. Producing this film with Eric Fellner, Working Title and Universal Pictures is indeed a dream come true and I can’t wait to hear the people sing at my local cineplex.”

This seemed to be in the cards when 20th Century Fox pushed back Wolverine 2 until at least the spring. The delay gives Jackman a chance to make Les Miserables, a film that will likely give Universal a horse in the 2013 Oscar race, and then reprise the role he originated in X-Men.

It’s the latest lead role for Crowe, who will star alongside Mark Wahlberg in the Allen Hughes-directed Broken City, and who is also starring in Man of Steel, the Superman reboot for Warner Bros.

The Working Title team has been developing the musical with Mackintosh for some time, and it comes after they solidified a re-team with Atonement helmer Joe Wright in Anna Karenina for Focus, and they are also coming off Senna, the documentary on the Formula One racing legend that will get a major Oscar-season push and which has grossed $7.5 million worldwide. Hooper’s repped by ICM, Jackman and Crowe by WME and Nicholson by CAA.

Source.

I'm kinda excited but then I look back at all the other film adaptations of the various mega-musicals and remember none of them have been all that good or they featured a fair amount of obvious lyrics that got turned into dialogue. Also, I don't think I've ever heard Russell Crowe sing. I know his background includes some musicals but Eddie in Rocky Horror isn't quite the range that Javert demands. Jackman though, Jackman will nail this thing.

I watched Eclipse last night(curse nothing else being on). It's the third Twilight movie. Is it me, or are they getting progressively worse? It's not like they started with the bar raised to begin with, but nothing happens until the one fight at the end. The second one was the same way. Nothing happens in these movies!

Reach the point of immersion with Farscape where I'm calling hours "arns", seconds "Microts", Shit "Dren" and fuck "Frell". Tempted to stop and watch something else for a bit but I'm so damn close to the end and once I'm done the damage to my vocab will dissipate, just like it did after I finished watching The Wire.