JackFetch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be fair, outside of Schindler's List, Spielberg largely directs large films. The focus is rarely on the characters, more on the events within the film and how they effect the characters. When you go into a Spielberg film, you go in for the visuals and the over-all film, not for the actors. Oscars tend to go out to more personal roles. That and The Color Purple was robbed.

I tend to think that it also has to do with the academy's attitude towards film in general. Blockbusters and crowd-pleasers are rarely properly rewarded at the Oscars, despite the fact that they're a completely valid and compelling form of storytelling. You'll almost never see an actor rewarded for giving a "fun" performance. It's always got to be a solemn drama where, at some point, they stare at someone and deliver a grimly revealing monologue with tears in their eyes.

To some vague extent, true. That said, they're giving out awards for the Best of something of the year, not most popular. Sometimes they're the same but rarely. The day I live in a world where Transformers Revenge of the Fallen is the best anything of the year is the day I give up on the human race.

Really, in the end, yes, the awards tend to favor dramas. This is a recent development. For must of the history of the award, it's shifted. It's went through periods of favoring musicals and big set pieces. It's only since the 80s that they've shifted to the quieter, more personal dramas and even that's had some patches in there. Hell, of the 90s, the English Patient and Schindler's List were the only traditional dramas to win Best Picture and they were both WW2 pics. Right now, we're more in the period of the slightly whimsical dramas and dramadies winning and getting nominated.

As for performances, yes, in the history of the Oscars, they've tended to go pretty varied. Supporting is where you tend to see the more comedic parts getting nominated. I've always enjoyed the supporting roles race more because that tends to be where upsets happen because you have people like Christopher Waltz, Heath Ledger, Octavia Spencer, or Jennifer Hudson that give these performances that just steal the film from the leads. Actor tends to be predictable but still good. They'll go for either biopic roles or feel-good parts. Yes, Ron Burgandy might make you laugh. Doesn't change the fact that Jamie Foxx nailed Ray Charles that year and will always be a better performance. As for Actress, much more unpredictable and they go for emotional barring parts. Hell, the last 30 years of Best Actress has just been awesome with only like two or three performances that are kinda meh (to repeat, Whoopi Goldberg got ripped off for not winning for The Color Purple, Hilary Swank was awesome in Boys Don't Cry but Annette Benning was better in American Beauty).

Really, if it's consolation, they're great at awarding the best performances of the year at the time. Both Gloria Stewart as Norma Desmond in Sunset Blvd. and Bette Davis as Margo Channing in All About Eve (each actress's most iconic role) lost out to Judy Holiday in Born Yesterday. Roberto Begnini, an actor who killed his good will rather fast, won over four much better performances. Hell, Some of the best pictures of all time lost their years.Citizen Kane lost to How Green was my Valley, High Noon to The Greatest Show on Earth, and Pulp Fiction to Forrest Gump.

Sorry for my rambling. This is one of my areas of expertise. This year is going to be really interesting. Hell, a 9 year-old girl is one of the front-runners for best actress!

original.jpg

A quote from io9:

Here's another character poster of Bella and Edward's half-human, half-vampire child Renesmee, who telepathically falls in love with Jacob while still a newborn. You know, even after all that, the silliest of that last sentence still might be her name.

Spoilered in case anyone cares/likes their brain unmelted.

My girlfriends and I have agreed that once this thing is out on DVD, we're going to watch all four with ridiculously sparkly drinks and get hammered MSTing it.