Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, when you have your "breakout character" shack up with a 2 year old, the audience will react pretty badly. The best characters by far were the Doctor, Seven and Tuvok. Kate Mulgrew had a really strong presence but she was failed by the writing. Frankly Voyager featured a lot of missed opportunities but had some pretty decent episodes. I can't help but feel that the missed opportunities on Voyager influenced Ron Moore's decisions on BattleStar Galactica.

Yeah, the Doc and Seven were easily the best on the show, and I do love Tuvok.

Moore did a very long interview once where he basically politely trashed Voyager in its entirety. From Moore's perspective, Star Trek was never actually about the moral optimism that Roddenberry promoted, but was instead about the human characters and realistic relationships. (Honestly, I think anyone who's paid attention to The Original Series or Next Generation knows that's bull, but whatever.) Basically, it seems that Deep Space Nine is the only Trek series that actually meets Moore's requirements, otherwise, in his words, it's not "truthful."

I'm rewatching the entire TNG era at the moment, in in-universe chronological order. I'm into Season 5 of Voyager, and I'm 3 episodes away from finishing DS9. Thus far, I'd have to say that while Janeway might not technically be the best captain, she's the most well-rounded. Kirk, it could be argued, is a bit reckless and unbalanced, constantly letting his personal problems dictate his actions as a captain. Picard is a principles zealot, to the point of possibly being guilty of mass murder due to inaction. Sisko is, in later seasons of DS9, shown to literally be mentally unstable, though with good reason. Archer, I think, is hard to judge because there were no captains in that tradition to set the standard for him; he had to make it up as he went along.

Overall, Janeway is almost an ideal captain. In general, she balances pragmatism and principle, is very friendly with her crew (to the point of honestly becoming family to them), yet doesn't have the Captain Ahab disease that plagues others. She's not generally as effective as Kirk, Picard, or Sisko in the grander scheme of things, but I do think she's the most well-balanced person. If I had to be an officer serving under one of the captains, I'd probably pick her.

Yeah, when you have your "breakout character" shack up with a 2 year old, the audience will react pretty badly. The best characters by far were the Doctor, Seven and Tuvok. Kate Mulgrew had a really strong presence but she was failed by the writing. Frankly Voyager featured a lot of missed opportunities but had some pretty decent episodes. I can't help but feel that the missed opportunities on Voyager influenced Ron Moore's decisions on BattleStar Galactica.

I really wanted to like Tuvok, but there was nothing there. I mean, it's like they misinterpreted Vulcan as being boring rather than what Spock was which was a strong counterpoint to Kirk and McCoy.

KW, I strongly disagree on Janeway because inconsistent writing left her constantly changing position on her own core principles. However, each to their own. I get the sense that Sisko's not going to get you killed for nothing and he'd probably at least mourn you when you were gone, where Janeway loses crew left and right and they never seem to matter. For views that chime with mine on Voyager check out SFdebris' excellent video reviews. He's pretty fair to each show and grades them on the curve of the series, so an average voyager episode is 5 on a 1-10 scale for that show, it's not like he reviews every episode as a 3/10 on some imaginary scale. He also does Dr Who, B5, Neon Genesis Evangelion and a ton of other stuff.

That's because I just got home. Tom Paris and B'elanna were probably my two favorite cast members on Voyager.

As for Janeway, she's probably my second favorite captain. Kate Mulgrew does as good as she can with the material as she can do but yeah, it was inconsistent and its only towards the end that they really seem to finally get her. That said, you almost have to believe the reason she's an admiral in Nemesis is because they looked over her logs, saw the sheer amount of violations of both the Prime Directive and Temporal Prime Directive then realized that she's become too much of a celebrity to court martial so at least this way they can keep her from doing any harm.

I honestly love Enterprise for exactly what it is. It's not a Star Trek series at all, really, until its latter two seasons (and mostly still just the 4th). Enterprise is a NASA show set in the future. Even their uniforms are NASA jumpsuits with TOS division color piping. As that kind of weird hybrid NASA/Trek show, I think Enterprise succeeds. Hell, I even like the intro a lot. I hated it when the series first aired, but on further reflection, it pretty much encapsulates the "we will prevail/go forth" attitude where Trek and NASA cross over. But then I always liked power ballads, so whatever.

If not for the fact that the first two seasons were too slow-paced and not immediately fun enough, Enterprise might have been looked at more fondly. But considering that it came off the tail end of literally fourteen years and 528 episodes in the style of the TNG era, fandom wasn't ready to accept it and it wasn't quite good enough to build a new fanbase that could replace them.

As it stands, though, Season 4 of Enterprise (epilogue aside) is seriously some of the best Trek ever made.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is ever going to defend Threshold.

For a scientifically oriented show to display such a fundamental lack of understanding of evolution is near criminal. Plus it makes Janeway and Tom into deadbeat parents.

Tom Paris was good in Voyager because he was actually competent. You'd have thought with a whole crew on board someone there could have become the nurse but no, the only pilot they have left also has to do that. I still haven't figure out what Harry Kim is for beyond looking at readouts to say what's gone wrong and of course getting royally F'd up thanks to his fumbling sexual misadventures.

Enterprise is...patchy. Whilst Voyager occasionally recycled plots from TOS and TNG about 50% of ENT was just old scripts with the names changed in crayon. That being said it did get better and broke out of the mold in the last two seasons. Completely bottled it on the timewar thing though, never did say who Mr Shadow Man was.