Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

I got the Dark Knight Rises Blu Ray, which comes with a code to download a copy of the film. Unfortunatly it involved signing up to two different services AND installing software which, in it's terms and conditions, gives them the right to access information on audio visual files on your computer. I'm pretty accommodating when it comes to this stuff, but I draw the line there.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Fine, we shall make a concession to this 'digital' fad we've heard so much about but only if we can turn the parasites' computers into a part of our weather machine!"

Also found out why eBooks are subject to VAT and physical books aren't is because ebooks are considered a service rather than a good, so are subject to VAT. Of course, Amazon doesn't provide a breakdown of how much of the list price is VAT on their website for some reason, so I'm not sure if we're paying the 20% UK rate or the 3% Luxembourg rate (as that's where Amazon EU is based).

Jackman kind of feels like he's carrying Crowe, but otherwise? YES PLZ.

To say the least. I'm no accomplished singer, but Crowe is not moving from his octave or even his intonation. I will not see the movie based on that.

Not a musical guy, but I was semi-interested in this. Not anymore. Yikes.

If Crowe can carry Stars, he'll be fine, as that's his one big solo song. He duets with Jackman most of the other times, and those start to get increasingly complex towards the end.

I feel like there are three roles that you need to carry a Les Mis production: Valjean, Fantine, and Eponine. You need someone who can carry Javert, too, but if he's not stunning, a good Valjean can carry and make up for it.

For me, it was his second Q&A DVD. He really came across as a prick in it:

"Everything and everyone I may ever deal with is now great, I have no problems, I'm just going to talk about sucking people off, and expect you to laugh. Oh, and Jersey Girl was great, and I will now spend 20 minutes talking about how this local rag, that said they didn't like it is wrong."

For me it started all the way back to Mallrats. Mallrats was, to be frank, not very good. And most of the world agreed. It tanked, and rightfully so.

And later, as he was promoting Chasing Amy, he wrote an essay that explained why you were wrong for thinking Mallrats wasn't great.

Around that time I also went onto viewaskew.com, and it was there that I saw the beginnings of what he's turned into: He would go on his forums and say something like, "Y'know, maybe Mallrats wasn't as good as it could have been..." only to be drowned out by a sea of fanboys who would leap in and yell, "No, Kevin! Mallrats was a work of unparalleled genius! You are the light and the salvation!" He was surrounding himself with yesmen and doing that thing where he would mildly put himself down so that other people would praise him to the heavens.

Not to mention that he is a terrible director and utterly uninterested in getting any better. He's a decent writer when he wants to be, but as time goes on he's far more interested in promoting himself and soaking up adulation. The only thing Kevin Smith is interested in selling is Kevin Smith. And I don't begrudge him that, but Christ is he smug about it.

Clerks is rough and ugly and amateurish, but holy shit is there a lot of potential there. He's spent nearly twenty years at this point pissing it away. He had a lot of praise for his very first film and it went to his head.

Mallrats is a stupid 80s teen comedy with no heart at all.

Chasing Amy is a relationship movie by a man who has clearly not had a lot of sex or a meaningful adult relationship at that point.

Dogma has the bones of a decent flick but is dragged down by Jay and Silent Bob being in it. They don't fit.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is a two hour wank.

At that point I was officially done.

Finally finished American Horror Story season one, after just about everyone telling me that it gets better. I stopped at about episode seven, and apparently that's where it started getting awesome again. The last few episodes especially were amazing. I'm interested to see how the anthology format will work out over several seasons, because the last half of the last episode seemed a little too... convenient.

But, I would LOVE to see little comedy minisodes of them all trying to live in the house after death.

Zach Quinto, Connie Britton, and Jessica Lange especially were amazing. Tate and Violet's actors also took the cake for awesomeness in the last half of the series. Also, Moira's actress. Holy wow.

Most of them are returning for this season, too, so even though it's pretty much one of my ultimate fear scenarios, I'm gonna try and get through the first episode tomorrow (during the daylight, this show is really good at terrifying me).

RE: Kevin Smith, Zack and Miri is absolutely a sentimental movie for me, but I can admit it's not the greatest thing ever. I've not really seen a lot of his other stuff, though everyone says I should see Dogma.