Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm. Just reached the point in Angel where I'm starting to remember how many of the characters die. Makes Game of Thrones look like Friends by comparison.

Cordy, Fred, Wesley, Darla, Lilah etc. Quite the main cast body count. And Wesley and Fred get it worst, Wesley a ghost tied to Wolfram and Hart and Freds soul is annihilated. Oh and Gunn dies and becomes a Vampire. (After the Fall comic).

On the other hand I'd completely forgotten about Groo, who is hilarious.

I actually quite liked season 2 of Angel. The end of the elevator ride to Hell was just devastating at the time and they really honed the message of the show with Epiphany

Angel: Well ... I guess I kind of worked it out. If there's no great glorious end to all this, if ... nothing we do matters ... then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. I fought for so long for redemption, for a reward, finally, just to beat the other guy. But I never got it.

Kate: Now you do?

Angel: Not all of it. All I want to do is help. I want to help because I don't think people should suffer as they do, because if there's no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world.

Pacific rim seems to be getting shat on internally by Warner Bros in much the same way that Inception was before it came out. I'm hoping for a similar conclusion.

I'm starting a "Do Not Watch" list of actors based off going to see This Is The End. I've really tried to stay open to popular releases and whatnot but the ONLY films I've enjoyed in cinemas this year have been Django Unchained and Much Ado About Nothing, films with a fucking shred of integrity and auteur directors that give a shit about their work. And I've seen too many films to walk away burnt this many times.

Forgive me if this is some automatic internal thing that everyone else already figured out, I know Dubs has because it's basically a riff on his rant after the last Tirades. I love watching shitty films but only when I'm expecting them to be shitty. I don't want to watch something Seth Rogan slapped together in a weekend. This had all the hallmarks of an Adam Sandler film, cheap cameos, product placement, useless shock humour and the minimum fucking effort.

. This had all the hallmarks of an Adam Sandler film, cheap cameos, product placement, useless shock humour and the minimum fucking effort.

That's also Seth Rogen's career in a nutshell. Just add in a few "Hey, we like to smoke weed" jokes, and you're there.

He's never been quite this bad though. Maybe I wasn't looking for it before. It's just that the blatant placement for Carls Jr, Milky Way, Prius, it was shameless. At least use it as part of a joke!

Watching From Up on Poppy Hill to try and feel a bit better about movies in general, but my sweet Ghibli high school drama has had a Veronica Mars-style plot twist thrown in slightly ruining it. Seriously, now it's really really icky. I may have to resort to full on Disney to improve my mood!

Huh, we have it on ours. Justified is one of those shows where I watched the first few seasons and then stopped and didn't even notice I wasn't watching it anymore. I really like the slow western-style pacing in the first season but when watched boxed set style some of the shifts in allegiance don't have time to sink in so the later stuff sits with you less naturally.

TNG Season 1 is a minefield of awfulness.

I made an annotated "essential episodes" list for TNG if anyone wants it, the idea being that you'd know which episodes to watch and which are technically skippable. I always recommend watching everything, of course, but I have a high tolerance for TV pain.