Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never seen Universal Soldier but Stargate is one of the cheapest-looking blockbusters of all time. It's fun but hardly some tentpole pic that justifies a career.

I'm not saying Stargate justifies his career; I'm simply saying, like Will said, he had promise but chose to make big, stupid, formulaic films.

Stargate, even at the time, struck me as pretty to look at with nothing underneath. Independence Day was much more fun, even if it was bone-stupid (another movie I saw multiple times at the second run theater in order to escape a heat wave, feeling terrible about myself each time I did), but I really don't think I ever saw an Emmerich movie and walked away thinking he ever had potential to make anything other than popcorn.

Just watched X-men First Class again, and really still hate it. Not because it's terrible through and through, but because the brilliant bright spots and potential of the film are dragged through the dirt by all the stuff that doesn't work, even without the continuity issues.

Speaking of, I know I've listed those issues before so I won't bother, but my hope for Days of Future Past is severely impacted by how irreconcilable the X-men franchise films are. This film and those films do not work in the same way that 616 characters couldn't go into the past of the Ultimate universe and reconcile it with their own.

Oh yeah, I really dislike it. Bizarre tonal shifts, some awful performances and a bunch of characters who only show up to be name-checked. Oh look it's Darwin, 14 seconds later he's dead. Who cares? Plus at the same point in the movie they said "well we don't need Oliver Platt anymore" and literally dropped him. And what's the point in Moira MacTaggart being an american agent? What's the value in using the name if she's a totally different character? Might as well make Lois Lane a swarthy lunch lady. The whole thing is all over the place.

The Losers on the other hand, is kinda fun. It's like if Captain America, The Comedian, Uhura and Nelson Mandela teamed up to make a modern day A-team film. The result is much better than the actual A-team film.

I didn't know anyone else was with me in hating that movie. Just a bag of fanboy stupid it was, the whole thing.

Me three. I wanted to love it, but I just can't.

DOFP gives me a smidge of hope, though, since Singer has said that it's essentially going to be a giant reset button on the timeline.

If he wants to keep cranking out movies, it kind of has to be. I don't know if I find anything positive out of that.

They've made five of the things so far and one has been watchable.

I've watched three depressing movies in a row in the last 12 hours. I need a good comedy to lift my spirits.

Seeking a Friend for the end of the World: Steve Carell and Keira Knightly are amazing in this.

It felt like the kind of movie where everyone gets saved at the end by some last minute thing, but that doesn't happen.

What Dreams May Come: I had never even heard of this weird movie. Robin Williams in a serious role that takes place in the afterlife.

His two kids, him, and his wife all die during the movie. It's pretty depressing.

My Girl: Damn you Macaulay Culkin for making me feel things!

The scene where he's in the coffin and she just wants him to go play with her hits me right in the feels.