Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching The Core. I love it because it took Armageddon and said "How could this be stupider?". Like, significantly stupider. Than a Michael Bay film. Better cast though, Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank and Stanley Tucci for the win.

Also the only think I enjoy more than The Wire is helping other people realise that they love The Wire. Myself and my brother successfully got our dad hooked this evening.

Watching The Core. I love it because it took Armageddon and said "How could this be stupider?". Like, significantly stupider. Than a Michael Bay film. Better cast though, Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank and Stanley Tucci for the win.

I love The Core. I watch it at least once a year.

Funny thing: because I was raised on Trek and have a really big interest in theoretical science, I actually understand Trek technobabble, at least to the same degree that the writers did. I can usually tell when they're actually being accurate and when they're making it up on the spot. TNG in particular was surprisingly accurate, but they did have a good number of episodes where they apparently confused science with magic. "Unnatural Selection" is the most notable one off the top of my head, where the transporter became a magic fix-all device that contradicts its own logic.

The episode I was referring to was when they're looking for the Prometheus, and Data uses the phrase twice. Once innocuously, and once to describe the possibility of used a phasing cloak from 12 years earlier that was tested on a much smaller ship, and he did it without ever seeing the device or understanding how it theoretically might work.

But yeah, the technobabble in tng is quite consistent. The problem mostly comes with voyager where they might as well say "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" every other episode. It's never as bad in DS9 because they're more about human solutions.

Of all the captains, I consider Archer and Janeway the most inconsistent and insane.

I am actually really excited for this. Outside of Gaga and the Muppets, Kristen Bell, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Elton John, and RuPaul are supposed to put in appearances. As for Gaga appearing in Muppet Form, depending on what she wears, could you tell the difference?

Of all the captains, I consider Archer and Janeway the most inconsistent and insane.

That's funny; those are the two I consider the most sane. Picard let an entire planet of people die for no reason, Kirk had issues with life purpose and making rash choices, and Sisko was almost-literally driven mad because he had the Prophets in his head. Also, something about Avery Brooks' acting makes me feel like Sisko is barely in control of his own emotions and is always on the edge of snapping.