Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the Enterprise-D, that's true (it was so big and slow, it was almost a space station that could warp), and it's probably true for other ships as well, like science vessels that aren't expected to require much maneuverability. But a good 80-90% of the starships we see in Trek would benefit from having an expert pilot. I think the problem is that the Federation just didn't value pilots too much during the era of peace in which TNG begins. No reason to have an expert pilot if all the ship is going to do is warp from planet to planet with no trouble in-between. We do see, however, that piloting is a really big deal to Starfleet Academy; it seems to be their equivalent of college sports.

The pilot of a Starship might not need to be top-tier, but it makes sense for Starships to have them aboard. Think about shuttlecrafts and runabouts, and how often they'd be used on missions. Those smaller ships, which need quicker maneuverability through space and atmospheres, better have damn good pilots at the controls.

There were occasions where even Enterprise-D would need to manoeuvre very precisely, like when they entered the asteroid to salvage the Prometheus. Certainly Kirk knew the value of good piloting and kept his helmsman in good shape, requiring them to move in and out of spacedock using manual controls. The ability to move a ship hundreds of meters in size with precision should be a skill they value and a discipline of it's own, not a job that primarily assigned to ensigns or children.

Guys, guys, guys...the important thing about Trek is how good the ladies look in the uniforms.

I think you're confusing it with Buck Rogers again.

That's the liklihood - it was New Year's Day last year that Series 2 premiered. I recall Father Wilson and I having a blast tuning in to that episode!

And as Doctor Who (regeneration and all) being the big genre BBC show at Christmas, I can definitely see it being January 1 2014.

Definitely, it's here to stay on my list in a year where very few shows are retaining my attention.

I was trundling through Netflix for a movie to watch and did I pick Lawless or Seven Psychopaths? Nope, I'm in the mood for a shitty movie, GI Joe Retaliation it is. Although I have already laughed at a joke, which I attribute completely to The Rock.

So Zartan is now the President and has filled the secret service with Cobra agents, but they all wear Cobra flagpins. Might that not be giving the game away slightly?

Also, they destroy London while the Joes are in disguise in the room, but the Joes don't bother trying to stop them until afterwards? Fuck you so called heroes!

Last problem- The Tungsten rods are dropped on their targets purely with gravity right? So surely self destructing the satellites would only cause their entire payload to drop to the earth? The net result being MUCH worse since it's like 8 rods per satellite instead of just the one? Maybe they'd be more random in what they hit but it'd still be catastrophic.