The Dark Knight Rises

annericelover

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the website where the above posters were displayed, they described Bane's mask as supplying him with a pain-numbing anaesthetic. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's a brilliant way to get around the venom tube absence, and it works for the realistic Nolanverse.

On the website where the above posters were displayed, they described Bane's mask as supplying him with a pain-numbing anaesthetic. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's a brilliant way to get around the venom tube absence, and it works for the realistic Nolanverse.

Pretty much! I'm not going overboard with the viral marketing/opening scene as I did with TDK, but I still reckon that this could be one of the best films of the year, if not CBM film. I stress the word *could* rather than "will", but given Nolan's track record, I doubt we're going to see a Spidey III/X-Men: The Last Stand.

God, THIS SO MUCH. Also, with these trailers I'm convinced of the movie's basic adaptation of the Batman story for this particular film. Batman Begins was essentially Year One. Dark Knight was Long Halloween/The Killing Joke. This is Knightfall, straight up. Knightfall/Knightsend to be precise. But the Bruce/Selina scene is another adaptation from Long Halloween.

Also, here's why Bruce won't die: Cuz Bale said he'd be up for another film.

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/5/29/christian-bale-is-open-to-making-another-batman-movie.html?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter

I hope this movie ends on a somber note. I don't know why exactly, I guess it just fits. I've always viewed the story of batman is a tragedy. I know a long time ago on some podcast Mike said he wanted it to end with Bruce realizing he's done much more harm than good for Gotham, that's a neat idea. Batman dying isn't my favorite idea but it could work.

To be completely honest, I personally think a somber or bad ending to Rises would be counter-productive to the very idea of Batman. It's been said a lot that TDKR will harken back to Batman Begins. When you consider that film's ending, the threat of escalation was there, but the promise of Batman saving the day was what it ended on. TDK ended more somberly with Batman taking the rap, but it still ended optimistically with Gotham's soul saved by his actions. This movie's going to be called "The Dark Knight Rises", not "The Dark Knight Falls". Were the movie to have Batman's actions ultimately be viewed as a detriment to Gotham City, I would find it ultimately disingenuous not just to the idea of Batman but what the first film predicated the series to be about.

I dont think it should be all about coming full circle. The story of Batman is a tragedy and there's no getting around that.

I completely disagree that the idea that Batman's actions have become detrimental to Gotham city is unfitting with the idea of Batman. In fact I think it is the idea of Batman, it was even brought up in the Dark Knight by both Bruce and Joker. Honestly, I don't believe an optimistic ending would be suitable to this kind of story. In my mind it would either have to be somber or open-ended for it not to seem forced. To say that he accomplished everything he set out to do, that he cleaned up Gotham and the city is finally as clean and perfect as it was when he was a child wouldn't sit right with me.

I mean lets not forget who Batman is, a child who was literally driven insane when he saw his parents murdered in front of him. He spent years studying, learning, and training, but at the same time became obsessed with fear. He bases his new persona around his greatest fear "bats" and starts running around trying to capture and intimidate criminals but obsessing over not murdering them, and he believes that this will make Gotham a better place. There is no realistic scenario in which Bruce's childish vision succeeds. He either dies trying to accomplish this, or grows to old and looks at what he turned Gotham into. (or higher a teenager to continue defending Gotham :smilewinkgrin:)

But anyway that's why a happy ending wouldn't work for me.

I dont think it should be all about coming full circle. The story of Batman is a tragedy and there's no getting around that.

I completely disagree that the idea that Batman's actions have become detrimental to Gotham city is unfitting with the idea of Batman. In fact I think it is the idea of Batman, it was even brought up in the Dark Knight by both Bruce and Joker. Honestly, I don't believe an optimistic ending would be suitable to this kind of story. In my mind it would either have to be somber or open-ended for it not to seem forced. To say that he accomplished everything he set out to do, that he cleaned up Gotham and the city is finally as clean and perfect as it was when he was a child wouldn't sit right with me.

I mean lets not forget who Batman is, a child who was literally driven insane when he saw his parents murdered in front of him. He spent years studying, learning, and training, but at the same time became obsessed with fear. He bases his new persona around his greatest fear "bats" and starts running around trying to capture and intimidate criminals but obsessing over not murdering them, and he believes that this will make Gotham a better place. There is no realistic scenario in which Bruce's childish vision succeeds. He either dies trying to accomplish this, or grows to old and looks at what he turned Gotham into. (or higher a teenager to continue defending Gotham :smilewinkgrin:)

But anyway that's why a happy ending wouldn't work for me.

Ehhh...it's a comic book film, even with the term "realistic" thoughtlessly bandied about towards these recent movies. I mean I admit to having an instant aversion to people calling Batman insane because everything he does is calculated towards making his war on crime a more proficient one. People only really started calling Batman crazy because he became more anti-social after Dark Knight Returns. And that's only brought up mostly because he's slightly less social than Superman. If he's crazy, what does that make Green Arrow? A guy dressed like Robin Hood with an Arrowcar, Arrowplane, Arrow cave and a sidekick with even brighter colors than Robin?

In any case I respectfully disagree with you. As dark as the character can get...this is still a BATMAN movie. The character still fights supercriminals and dresses up in a cape. There's nothing realistic about the movies, they're just more believable. There's a core fantastic relm which Nolan always goes back to because he recognizes the audience he's making movies for, at the end of the day.

Boy, that's a little tough. TDK was too long already and this is a full 13 minutes longer? If Nolan says it needs it and it's epic enough ok, but that run-time is tough. It's not going to affect the box-office, Titanic and Avatar were both longer, but it's tough for an action-orientated film to sprawl like that without a decrease in quality.