The Dark Knight Rises

annericelover

z162342801.jpg

Yip.

I hope so. Too many villains in one film.

Even as just random, deformed thug like Zsasz was in Batman Begins, Croc is one of the least realistic of Batman's villains. If Talia appeared, it would be better if she wasn't Ra's daughter but as someone he trained in the League of Shadows and considered a daughter, but even then it would still seem contrived. Black Mask would be nice (especially if he was portrayed similar to the way he was in Under the Red Hood), but still he might look a bit too much like Two-Face, whose burnt half is black in this continuity. As for Strange, he might make for a good secondary villain, but at the same time, his surname kind of gives him away as a villain. It's like Victor Von Doom--with a name like those, you're bound to grow up to be a supervillain.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that worse than Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow, Falconi, and Zsasz in one film? How about Joker, Two-Face, Scarecrow and Maroni?

But they were all linked, and could be realistically linked. Scarecrow worked for Ra's and was treating Zsasz who worked for Falconi, who was in cahoots (Or so he thought) with Ra's.

Joker caused Two-Face to exist, and Maroni was a crime boss who hired the Joker to come break Batman and Scarecrow was barely in TDK.

Is that worse than Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow, Falconi, and Zsasz in one film? How about Joker, Two-Face, Scarecrow and Maroni?

Yes, because Zsasz had little more than an extended cameo in Batman Begins, as did Scarecrow in The Dark Knight. Also, Two-Face wasn't really a villain in The Dark Knight and the two mobsters were just secondary antagonists in their respective films. However, Croc, Talia, Black Mask, and Hugo Strange would need to be more than just secondary antagonists and have more than just one scene each.

Why would Croc need more than just a small role? If he's only the muscle, then he might be no more important than Zsasz was in BB, or Scarecrow was in TDK.

Black Mask would fill the role of the "new gangster" in the style of Falconi and Maroni, and Hugo Strange would likely be working with the police to find Batman. Talia is the only odd one out in that story, but there's still room in the plot. After all, Ra's in the first film didn't even get half the story devoted to him; he just sort of bookended it.

Why would Croc need more than just a small role? If he's only the muscle, then he might be no more important than Zsasz was in BB, or Scarecrow was in TDK.

Black Mask would fill the role of the "new gangster" in the style of Falconi and Maroni, and Hugo Strange would likely be working with the police to find Batman. Talia is the only odd one out in that story, but there's still room in the plot. After all, Ra's in the first film didn't even get half the story devoted to him; he just sort of bookended it.

Croc shouldn't be in a Nolan Batman film to begin with because he's not a realistic villain at all, but even if he was, you'd need a good amount of time given that he's one of Batman's most distinctive villains and you'd need to devote some time to explaining his appearance. And I still think introducing Talia would be contrived given that there wasn't even a hint of her in Batman Begins. At least Ducard secretly being Ra's in that movie made sense.

Croc shouldn't be in a Nolan Batman film to begin with because he's not a realistic villain at all, but even if he was, you'd need a good amount of time given that he's one of Batman's most distinctive villains and you'd need to devote some time to explaining his appearance.

I don't think any of that's true. They made Joker "realistic" by giving him face scars and makeup instead of skin-bleaching chemicals. I also don't think you need to explain Croc very much. He's a big guy (who may or may not have a skin condition, depending on how they'd end up taking the story), and he likes to throw rocks at things.

And I still think introducing Talia would be contrived given that there wasn't even a hint of her in Batman Begins.

Actually, there was. Ra's references having a family before, and also says that the League of Shadows was global, so not everyone would have been at the mountain dojo. It'd be a minor leap in logic, yeah, but it could be done.

I'm not saying that I really think this is what they're doing; I'm just saying it's possible.

And I still think introducing Talia would be contrived given that there wasn't even a hint of her in Batman Begins.

Actually, there was. Ra's references having a family before, and also says that the League of Shadows was global, so not everyone would have been at the mountain dojo. It'd be a minor leap in logic, yeah, but it could be done.

He referenced having a wife. Shoe-horning in a daughter would be a stretch that I don't think Nolan would go for.

Essentially, I agree with the "bullshit" crowd here. We'll know the characters once they're confirmed. After all, The Joker and Dent's casting were announced in due fullness for TDK.

• 1 month later...

Maybe not perfect, but good.

I never thought Bane was subject to the curse of Batman and Robin the way that Mr. Freeze was.

I keep thinking back to how James, Mike and Ian said in their Batman and Robin review how Bane was now radioactive. Nolan now plans to resurrect the guy in the minds of mainstream audiences.

Hathaway is a great actress, she's made strides to get away from a Disney Princess movie persona when possible, just check out Havoc or Rachel Getting Married. She can do it, just like Ledger turned out to be a great Joker.

Tom Hardy as Bane is off the freakin' HOOK. Really looking forward to this now. Bane can just be an anti-Batman, a great fighter who sets The Batman as his target and manipulates Gotham to exhaust and hunt down his foe.

To echo what Mike said, Hathaway's great in Get Smart and she's had plaudits for other films that she's lent dramatic weight to. Despite my crippling poverty, I've been very tempted to see Love and Other Drugs as well.

As for Bane, I think it was the WFP duo that bandied around the word "radioactive" - I was merely doubtful that Bane would get a fair shake again in a live action capacity. That he is being implemented (by a non-hispanis actor, no less) is interesting. I reckon Nolan can pull it off, but I wouldn't have believed he was ending his interpretation with Catwoman & Bane if I'd been asked a year ago. If this does end his arc, does this imply that Bruce settles down with Selena?