Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

JackFetch

The latest issue of GamePro has a juicy reveal for fans of Marvel's webhead right on its cover: Evidently, the next Spider-Man game out of Activision will be called Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.

Probably more details will be found inside the issue, but right now all we know is the title of this still-unannounced game on the mag's cover (via MTV Multiplayer). Activision CEO Bobby Kotick recently made news by stating their past Spider-Man games "sucked," saying that a Spider-Man game should be "about web-slinging. If you don't do web-slinging, what is the fantasy of Spider-Man?" So, probably expect a big focus on web-slinging in the next Spider-Man game.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178432

I wonder what the "Shattered Dimensions" subtitle means? Alternate universe Spideys? One More Day? The M'Kraan Crystal?

• 2 weeks later...
Activision Publishing, Inc. and Marvel Entertainment have released the first details of "Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions," the newest entry of non-stop heroic action to star the iconic wall-crawler. The video game is scheduled for release in September 2010 and will allow players to travel through four different worlds as distinctly different versions of Spider-Man from four universes across Marvel lore, two of which are announced today: "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "Spider-Man Noir."

As Spider-Man, players will experience a wide variety of gameplay and dramatic environments. "The Amazing Spider-Man" experience delivers innovative web combat and visuals in a world that pays tribute to the classic era of the legendary Super Hero. In contrast, "Spider-Man Noir" features a cunning and covert depiction of Spider-Man, who utilizes shadows to perform stealth takedowns in a 1930's-influenced, black-and-white cinematic environment.

"'Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions' delivers an original storyline that bridges four unique worlds," said Rob Kostich, Head of Marketing, Activision Publishing, Inc. "Each action-packed universe will have its own detailed art design and thrilling missions, challenging gamers to use new skill sets to defeat enemies as they unlock powerful new moves and progress through the game."

Penned by acclaimed Marvel comic book writer Dan Slott, the story takes players on a mission to capture the magical energy of the Tablet of Order and Chaos, which has been shattered and scattered across parallel universes. Gamers are challenged to battle fan-favorite villains such as the lethal Kraven and a custom, never-before-seen Noir version of Hammerhead, in a quest to restore the fabric of reality.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=9226

Gotta include the Ultimate Spidey in this, especially since that was a last truly good Spidey game imo.

Only time I remember alternate worlds being a feature in Spidey lore is the 90's cartoon, where he teams up with Scarlet Spider, Doc Ock Spidey, 6 arms Spidey and others.

Guest dstroketheterminator

Eh, not impressed here either. Graphics kinda suck. Web of Shadows was okay, but I doubt I'll ever play it again. I still think that Spiderman-2 was the best Spidey game

I can understand picking Noir for one of the unrevealed universes, but using it to entice people to buy the game? I give them credit for trying to give the Noir line exposure, but it leaves me ho-hum after the multiverse premise instead of geeking out. If 2099 turns out to be one of the universes, I'll buy it, but otherwise I'll probably stick with Spider-Man 2.

• 2 months later...
Guest TFG1Mike

So why are you no longer interested? Honestly I'm actually kinda excited about this one. I like how they seem to have made Gilvezan the "dark" character. It is a amazing difference then Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Also I like how they seem to be getting all the old Spidey VA's from the cartoons. That is just great. Is there a link to the g4 demo video? I haven't actually seem the gameplay yet, just the trailer.

• 1 month later...

The final dimension is Ultimate.

spider-man-shattered-dimensions-20100720031816970.jpg

I'd be upset, but, dammit, Ultimate Spider-Man was my favorite Spider-Man game, and that screenshot looks awesome.

From what IGN says, you spend the entire time in the Ultimateverse in the symbiote suit, using pseudo-Venom abilities.

Also, apparently you eventually fight Ultimate Deadpool. So... cool.

Gah. Makes me REALLY want a new USM game. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Marvel's revealed the alternate costumes you'll see within the game. Hopefully some of them change the gameplay. I've hidden them in spoiler tags just to be safe.

Spider-Armor

Spider-Man_Shattered-Dimensions_01.jpg

Iron Spider

Spider-Man_Shattered-Dimensions_02.jpg

Mangaverse

Spider-Man_Shattered-Dimensions_03.jpg

Negative Zone

Spider-Man_Shattered-Dimensions_04.jpg

Scarlet Spider

Spider-Man_Shattered-Dimensions_05.jpg

Cosmic Spider-Man (Amazing)

Spider-Man_Shattered-Dimensions_06.jpg