Episode 135

RSS

It's the much ballyhooed, long-awaited Celebrity Co-host Spectacular #1 featuring the illimitable horror-comedy maestro of fiction, Jeff Strand. First Desmond and Jeff (or Jeff and Desmond, as Jeff would have it) talk a little bit about Jeff's upcoming releases, Dweller and Kutter, then they dive into a review of Return of the Living Dead Part II. Does the 80s horror comedy sequel live up to the original? Does it hold up today? Is it even watchable? Not really. Then the two sit back for an extended Q&A with Dread Media listeners and Jeff Strand fans alike in this history-making episode of your favorite horror podcast. There's writing advice, serious literary discussion, and tons of laughs to be had. Except cheese. We don't make any jokes about cheese. Jeff's selected playlist for this episode is as follows: "Dweller" by Trevor Strong, "Cruel, Cruel Moon" by Paul and Storm, "Rippy the Gator" by the Arrogant Worms, and "Creepy Doll" by Jonathan Coulton. Follow-up questions to be fielded in this thread. [ 1:41:59 || 46.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_135.mp3

Fantastic episode, and loved the change in format. Jeff was great, and I'd like to thank him for answering my questions.

Would love to see more of this format in the future, with Jeff or anyone else.

Yeah, that was very awkward. Desmond's tears...his blubbering of "Yes! Yes! Oh, yes, a million times yes!"...him dragging Megan into the room and saying "Do you want me to send her away? Because if you'll have me, I'll pack her things right now! No, I won't even pack them--I'll throw her out immediately and hire a moving service! Please, please, please tell me your proposal wasn't just a joke?"

We had two beautiful days together, but unfortunately, I decided that I just couldn't commit to watching all of those chick flicks on Married to the Movies.

--Jeff

We had two beautiful days together, but unfortunately, I decided that I just couldn't commit to watching all of those chick flicks on Married to the Movies.

We'll always have cheese...

Seriously though, see my very serious literary question in the second post.

On my behalf, I can recommend three of Jeff's books that are great starters for great reasons:

1. Pressure. Hands down the best horror novel I read last year and the best I've read in some time. Tense and emotionally destructive.

2. Benjamin's Parasite. Perhaps the single greatest horror comedy novel ever written. It's short, fun, disgusting and fucking hilarious.

3. Dweller. Probably Jeff's best work structurally and emotionally. A beautiful novel about a boy/man and his monster.