Human Centipede

Well, if anyone is interested, Roger Ebert has posted a review of HUMAN CENTIPEDE. A pretty fair and balanced review, all things considered. I believe he's trying to get back in with the cool kids after his KICK ASS review and the whole video game debacle.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100505/REVIEWS/100509982

This says it all:

I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world where the stars don't shine.

That is pure poetry. :)

I have to admit, the one thing about HUMAN CENTIPEDE I do find intriguing is that I can’t remember the last time we got an honest to goodness mad scientist movie. Seriously, I’m thinking maybe THE FLY (1986) or RE-ANIMATOR (1985). Have there been any since?

I have to admit, the one thing about HUMAN CENTIPEDE I do find intriguing is that I can’t remember the last time we got an honest to goodness mad scientist movie. Seriously, I’m thinking maybe THE FLY (1986) or RE-ANIMATOR (1985). Have there been any since?

The island of Dr Moreau in 1996?

• 3 months later...

From an interview with Tom Six, The writer/director at BBCNews.

Why set the sequel in the UK?

We start shooting mid-August in London with an almost entirely British crew and cast.

When I talk about the main players in World War II, a lot of people ask 'where is England?' I wanted a film in the English language and I absolutely love London.

The sequel's title hints at a longer centipede - is that correct?

Yes, the centipede has 12 people. I had so many ideas when I wrote part one but I couldn't put them all in because I wanted the audience to get used to the sick idea. Now I can put all my crazy ideas in part two.

"Well sir, I really want to make a movie about twelve people sewn to each other ass to mouth."

"What? That's absurd!"

"Okay. How about three people?"

"BRILLANT! That's the ticket!"

One: Gladstone's about as funny as a buggy full of dead babies.

Two: Note that it is all based on the trailer.

Three: I haven't heard a bad review of the film and I can pretty much guarantee I've listened to and read as many reviews of that film as any other guy.

• 2 weeks later...

"Well sir, I really want to make a movie about twelve people sewn to each other ass to mouth."

"What? That's absurd!"

"Okay. How about three people?"

"BRILLANT! That's the ticket!"

And yet it's very similar to the discussion the GOP had when planning the Watergate disaster. Their first idea was to blow up the Democrat HQ, and someone said, that's stupid and crazy. The counter was breaking in to the office and they said, sure, go for it.

• 1 year later...

I don't know. The more I think about the Human Centipede, the more I feel like I may have been to harsh with it the first time I watched it. The build up to the actual centipede was great fun, and really intense, as I just knew at some point something bad was going to happen, I just didn't know when. Maybe it was just due to actual centipede not being able to live up to my expectations, by that I mean, I expected the pace not to slow down as much as it did, and just sort of become the Doctor treating the Centipede like a dog for forty minutes, and then a sort of weird ending.

I think I'm probably going to rewatch it at some point, then find a way to watch the second one, as it has been refused approval to be shown in the UK by the BBFC, which is probably want the director wanted. Now his film is a lot more infamous, and it'll be a lot more special to feel like one of the chosen people who actually sat through both Human Centipede films.