Saturday Night Movie Suggestion Thread

Stavros

This is the place to suggest films we can all watch at the same time and use the brand spanking new chat function to discuss as we go. Right now the plan is to make it a regular Saturday night feature. Let us know your suggestions, we'll try to go with stuff everyone has access to.

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

Pulp Fiction

Adaptation

Anything I can stream via Netflix.

I'm good for any of those at some point. Adaptation is a personal favourite.

Is there any specific objection to Shawshank this week though? Unless everyone can get their hands on Empire, because with the 30th anniversary that would be cool.

Which version of Empire? I only have the real versions of the trilogy.

I only have the newer ones. But we face the same issue with Shawshank, I've got the Lucas & Spielberg edit. All the guards are armed with walkie talkies and Warden Norton is a hutt, just as in George's original vision.

I've got the new version of Empire as well. Though, truth be told, I think the edits (with the exception of Boba Fett's voice) are actually really good.

Empire is probably the one that's least hurt by the changes. The lighting changes on cloud city are just fine, its stuff like inserting Jabba into A New Hope or revamping Mos Eisley that I have problems with.

I don't actually have Labyrinth. Also that film gives me bad dreams at the best of times, let alone if I start watching at 2am. I'll find it if its the group choice, but I'm less keen on it.

I'll put up a poll later tonight, just in case any other films get a consensus.

Right now the shortlist is-

Iron Man

Shawshank Redemption

Labyrinth

The Empire Strikes Back

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Adaptation

Clerks

Little Miss Sunshine

Inglourious Basterds

Ferris Bueller

Phantasm

ok thats 11, that'll do for now.

Chris suggested In A Lonely Place, which is available on Youtube, but I'm not sure it would place highly on the poll. Maybe we can set aside one week a month to see something more challenging like this, that way we're broadening our horizons instead of just retreading modern hollywood? We'll see how this goes, see how popular this winds up being.

• 7 months later...