World Cup 2010- South Africa

Stavros

Seen a few examples of quick back to back goals in the last few days, people are getting more rattled by the pressure of the KO stages.

Brazil are really setting out to prove that they are the greatest footballing nation of all time. They're just a cut above.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Cup brackets

The BBC brackets are pretty clear, and yes, Brazil vs Argentina would be the final. In fact it is still entirely possible that the final four in the competition will all be from South America, with Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay all positioned to make that possible.

On one side we have Brazil, Holland, Uruguay and Ghana, and on the other we have Argentina, Germany, Paraguay/Japan and Spain Portugal. Whilst Germany, Spain, Holland and Portugal are all good teams, I'm betting that the final will have Brazil vs Argentina.

That is a better bracket, the left to right ones didn't do it for me, thanks man. Bloody hell, almost all the games from here on in are going to be great to watch.

Messi offends me with his talents, in a good way. And I have friends with a large pile of cash on him to be top goal scorer for the tournament, so I'm happy to root for Argentina as it might get me a free beer, haha. I'd love Netherlands to make it for some weird reason, don't know where that comes from.

I think Messi would pretty much need a couple of goals every game to stand a chance of finishing top scorer, since he's yet to get on the scoresheet. That being said it would be an amazing story if he finally managed to score in the final.

Crap, my bad. They have money on either Higuain and Tevez to be top scorer.

I'm really looking forward to the next round of matches!

I think the next round might see Villa move up the Golden Boot rankings, Spain have the easiest match going forward. If I were a betting man, I'd like the odds on Suarez myself. 14 or 16-1 most places, and he's only one goal behind Higuain.

Of course I'm not a betting man.

Brazil lose to Holland and Ghana lose on penalties in the most dramatic fashion. It just seems so unfair given Suarez's despicable action at the end of the game. Just heartbreaking for Ghana, Suarez should be banned from the final if Uruguay get that far, and he should be personally fined for his actions.

Probably the most dramatic day of the world cup, should be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

I missed the Uruguay / Ghana match. What happened?

Basically the best game ever (so far at least.) Uruguay played pretty dirty (imho), and there was all this psychological BS, and tension! Ooh, the tension nearly killed me toward the end. And you think one thing's about to happen- BUT NO. They completely swerve you with another thing!

It was kinda like watching a drama.

Sorry to harp on about something, but how can what happened to Kewell have the same penalty as what Suarez did, one was a blatant handball the other was accidental. Both on the goal line so they have the same penalty. Just weird.

Can't believe Brazil didn't make it past the Dutch!

4-0 Germany v. Argentina.

Lol, I kept deriving amusement from the commentator. "We were expecting a game, but Argentina isn't making it one." "Germany is putting Argentina in it's place... on a plane back home." I was like, Yo, hahaha, is he allowed to say that?

Good times.

I was just so massively impressed with Germany yesterday, they look like the most dominant disciplined team in the tournament by far. With Spain, Uruguay and Holland being the other finalists I sorta hope one of the other teams take it because it would be a fresh name at the top of the sport, since of those guys only Uruguay have won the World Cup before and that was very early in its history. That being said on current evidence, Germany look like they will win and deservedly so.

I need something cleared up for me. I've heard people talk about Suarez and an intentional handball to save the game. How is this different than fouling a basketball player when you are up by 3 with 4 seconds left? Or a Cornerback grabbing a WR to prevent a game winning TD? Is it just the culture of the game or something else?

Essentially its not. Its just a huge dick move, especially under the circumstances. Its not just the fact that he handled the ball on the line in order to save his team, its that the consequence of his blatant and cynical action was to dump the last African team out of the African World Cup when Ghana were all set to be the highest achieving African team in the history of the tournament, no other had ever gotten to the semi finals. Ghana basically deserved to go through and were sent out through cheating.