Is It Wednesday Yet?

RSS

Some of the novels I've read have been better than all of the films by far.

The Bounty Hunter Series and the Admiral Thrawn Trilogy are great places to start. Shadow of the Empire is an excellent tie between films. I liked it better than the first and third film. There's good stuff out there. I haven't read a SW comic since the old Marvel series so i can't comment on that.

Actually rereading that review you probably needed someone else to review that book. When one of the complaints from the reviewer is that they didn't get the twenty year backstory of Han and Leia's kids thus making it unfriendly to new readers I'm not sure that's entirely fair. I mean there are only so many pages in a comic.

Having read most of the post-ROTJ books, I can atest to the quality of good portion of them. If you're really interested, James, I'd start with the Heir to the Empire trilogy, then go with the Rogue and Wraith Squadron series, and then I, Jedi. New Jedi Order is a interesting concept that falls on it's face near the end, Legacy of the Force is very good up until the last book and is a perfect example of how the prequels should have handled Anakin, and avoid anything by Kevin J. Anderson.

On topic, I think Hannah makes an overly-strong but good point about being a new reader in what is essentially a continuing saga of the next generation of Skywalker clan. Jumping in on 20-30 years of continuity will leave many people scratching there heads and turn them off to the book, no matter the quality.

To be fair, I was probably one of the worst people he could've given it to. I know absolutely nothing about the Expanded Universe, as I admitted. I really feel like that comic's more geared towards people who are already strongly invested in the universe, and if you're dropped in knowing nothing like I did, you're fucked.

To be fair, I was probably one of the worst people he could've given it to. I know absolutely nothing about the Expanded Universe, as I admitted. I really feel like that comic's more geared towards people who are already strongly invested in the universe, and if you're dropped in knowing nothing like I did, you're fucked.

I don't think the comic book you reviewed was designed to be new reader friendly. My assumption is that it being a series running concurrent to a long series of books so it would seem more a companion piece than anything. I say assume because as George W. already said the ending to that series of books was ungodly bad so I have no desire to jump back into this plotline.

Legacy, which has been canceled, is a very good new reader future Star Wars comic I think. The only returning character is the ghost of Luke Skywalker so that helps.

So I would say that some Star Wars comics you can jump into and others not so much which is the norm for any comic stuff really.