Oz: The Great and Powerful

I saw this last night. Thought I was going to like it during the first half hour or so, but as it went on it got harder and harder to sit through. It's definitely pretty, but there's not much else going for it.

The script is awful. They just drill the message home with a sledgehammer and make sure to remove any trace of subtlety. It felt like everyone started off with some kind of personality, but by the end they just kind of there. And I really wish they weren't doing this as a prequel to the Wizard of Oz, because it forced them to try and tie up loose ends, which made for a bunch of scenes that just felt completely unnatural and grafted on. It just feels like they could have rebooted the whole thing with their own twist on things and did something interesting with it, but instead they were beholden to the original movie.

Took the words out of my mouth. HATED this film. Even when not taking into account the movie it's homaging/sort-of-kind-of-prequelizing, this film should at least have been entertaining and it's not. I wish I could say more, but it would involve copious spoilers and at the moment I'm too frustrated to type everything that's wrong with it (apart from what AJR said) in an orderly manner.

Spider-Man 3 was better than this. Seriously. Don't watch this.