Street Fighter X Tekken

JackFetch

Today at Comic-Con Capcom and Namco teamed up for a surprising announcement. The two developers are collaborating to produce Street Fighter X Tekken. It is exactly what it sounds like: a fighting game that pits the characters from Street Fighter against those of Tekken. The fighters will all retain their signature moves.

Note that it is not called Street Fighter vs. Tekken. The title is pronounced Street Fighter "Cross" Tekken.

During Capcom's Comic-Con panel today, both a trailer and a gameplay demonstration were shown. The trailer showed Ryu meditating in a dojo when Kazuya Mishima from Tekken bursts through the door, ready to kick some ass. After the Street Fighter X Tekken logo was shown, the classic Pac-Man cut scenes were recreated with Mega Man chasing a ghost across the screen and then running the other way followed by Pac-Man.

Then Yoshinori Ono from Capcom and Katsuhiro Harada from Namco played against each other in a quick match. During gameplay, Ryu called in Chun Li to help him out and Kazuya called in Nina Williams for a ridiculous team-up attack. They fought on a futuristic battlefield with giant mechs roaming in the background. The game was running on a PlayStation 3. Visually, it looked very similar to Street Fighter IV with 2D gameplay and 3D rendered character models.

Street Fighter X Tekken is being developed for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. When will it be out? Capcom says "not for a while." Namco also said it is creating its own version of the game, Tekken X Street Fighter, but details on that aren't available at this time.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1108350p1.html

From Shoryuken --

Sad news about Street Fighter X Tekken is coming out of Examiner.com. Apparently, not only was this just a tease, but its going to be a long time before we hear or see anything else about the project.

Ono mentioned to Famitsu Magazine that we shouldnt expect a release of SFxT for at least two years, putting it sometime in 2012. He also noted that Namco's version would come sometime after that, and that we won't get any more news of SFxT until Captivate 2011 (which if you remember is where we got the first Marvel vs Capcom 3 announcement).

Makes sense since MvC3 is on the way and Super SF4 is still heavily supported.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, they do that for a few reasons.

1) Since the Tekken characters are jumping into the Street Fighter realm, they're portrayed as the interfering threat to their status quo. When more gameplay vids surface, you're going to see more of this, since those characters are practically being rewritten from the ground up to fit into the SSF4 engine and they'll be wanting to show off their new moves.

2) Be it an act of good will or damage control, Capcom always makes the other side stronger in their crossover titles.

They also get bonus points for using a Black Tide song.

Always interesting to see who they focus on from Tekken games in these crossovers. I guess Kazuya is considered a bigger deal than Heihachi now, and somehow Nina Williams is still prominent despite being a horrible character to play and never doing anything interesting in the storylines. Did they need a chick in there that bad? It doesn't even make sense, she's Jin's bodybuard, not Kazuya's.

I imagine they're trying to position Nina as their Chun Li parallel, since she has the most tenure in terms of the Tekken series, and has been their highest profile female. She even got her own game.

Updated roster so far.

Ryu

Ken

Chun Li

Abel

Guile

Kazuya

Nina

King

Marduk

Bob

If they deny me the Bob/Rufus showdown, it will officially be a crime.

• 3 months later...
SiliconEra tossed a couple questions at Street Fighter X Tekken Producer Yoshinori Ono during Comic Con last weekend. The first asked Ono to name two characters, one from each side, that would not appear as playable cast members in SFxT. Ono noted that Dan was killed off in a cinematic for the game last year, and wont appear for that reason. He also said that the battle director specifically said that Nina and Anna Williams are too similar, and asked to exclude Anna. Ono also dropped one of the most predictable teases in history, saying that his favorite characters from Tekken are Nina and Paul, and that it was interesting that he hadn’t announced Paul yet.

The second question asked of Ono concerned SFxT’s netcode.

“There are still some kinks that we’re working out with the netcode. I can tell you officially were not using the actual GGPO netcode that you know and love in its current form,” Ono answered. “I can also say it is not using the Street Fighter IV netcode as is. There are going to be distinct changes and improvements. I can’t talk about those improvements or the system right now. Think of this as I’m throwing a worm on a hook and I’m going to reel you back in so you’ll come back and talk to us again!”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Zangief confirmed, along with Rolento, Heihachi and a few others.

I really hope the game includes all of these teaser vids on the disc as a bonus.

Updated roster. Hearing there's only about eight spots left. Despite Guy and Cody appearing in a trailer, no gameplay footage has surfaced yet, so it may have been an easter egg. Same with the Rufus appearance here. Jin, Asuka, and Sodom are rumoured but still not confirmed. I can't imagine Jin not making it in.

Ryu

Ken

Guile

Abel

Cammy

Chun Li

Sagat

Dhalsim

Poison

Hugo

Ibuki

Rolento

Zangief

Rufus

Kazuya

Nina

King

Marduk

Bob

Julia

Hwoarang

Yoshimistu

Steve Fox

Raven

Kuma

Heihachi

Lili

• 1 month later...

So now, in addition to Pandora mode and double tag battles, they're now adding a gem system?

Why?

They keep saying they want to bring in the casual crowd while adding more and more shit that's going to confuse them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...