The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Y'know, it's pretty amazing how there are still new layers of scum to discover when it comes to Rob Granito.

I was asked to do a drawing by the US Marine Core of a Soldier and Cap. After it was all done they loved the piece but the soldier ended up losing his life over seas, I thought that an inspiring pic of Cap was a good way to get out some feeling and emotion, I think it came out well.

Simone has written long portions of books I've really liked, but nothing recent. I've tried issues of Secret Six or Birds of Prey recently and they haven't been inspiring.

Comparing Secret Six when it started, right up until the end of the first story arc of the ongoing to what I've read from the title recently, is like night and bloody day.

• 2 weeks later...
Barnes & Noble is going to start stocking a wider selection of single issue comics. I got to say, I see this going well in towns with no comic book stores or where the comic book shop is on the other side of town. Otherwise, in cities like mine where we have at least four to choose from, this is going to bomb hardcore.

I love how everyone is taking a single panel out of context. It's seriously all kinda of annoying, especially since David Goyer, who wrote the five page story that's from, is not a regular writer on any Superman book. Hell, it's a freak back-up story next to stories about Lois looking for her Legion ring and Superman talking to a space messiah. I would take this more seriously if the story had been the main one but as is, it's at beast a hint of what we can expect in Man of Steel which Goyer is writing. Even more than that, everyone is ignoring that the story is kinda Superman being Superman and the panels that came before and after.

Even more than that, everyone is ignoring that the story is kinda Superman being Superman and the panels that came before and after.

Why would he need to renounce his citizenship, though? And especially to say that "Truth, Justice, and the American way" are no longer good enough for him? That's just taking it unnecessarily too far.

Still though, I do wanna read the entire issue, just to see if there's extra context that changes it.

Even more than that, everyone is ignoring that the story is kinda Superman being Superman and the panels that came before and after.

Why would he need to renounce his citizenship, though? And especially to say that "Truth, Justice, and the American way" are no longer good enough for him? That's just taking it unnecessarily too far.

Still though, I do wanna read the entire issue, just to see if there's extra context that changes it.

In the story, Superman took part in a protest in Tehran. It got construed that Superman was acting on the President's behalf. This seems to be Superman's response to that. He's renouncing citizenship so his actions, if it happens to be intervening in stopping a war atrocity or just stopping someone from getting hit by a car, don't come back to burn his home country. Basically, the overall theme of the story is Superman's view of the world is too small, that he's been looking at the macro when he needs to look at the micro. I dunno, it wasn't the best of the stories in #900 and, like I said, I don't see such a sweeping change in a character happening in what is essentially a back-up not being written by one of the regular writers of the either Superman book.

It does make sense in a larger context. The US can't be held responsibly for the autonomous actions of someone like Superman, not unless he allows them a degree of oversight. It really only comes off as negative if you think that being American is integral to Superman and the values he represents. Which it isn't.