The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

The word that's been going around is that the gay club in the story is a fetish club where the tops dress as Dredd and the bottoms dress as punks. It's an idea I find kind of cool. I mean, Dredd has been nearly a dominant force in Megacity One. He dresses in leather and is a picture of masculinity. Only natural that these people would prop him up as a gay icon.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First issues typically sell well, no matter the book. But keep in mind, they're ordered two to three months ahead of time. So by the time the second issue is ordered by shops, the first issue has not even hit the stores. That said, shop owners worry that the second issue will dip in sale, so they order less -- creating the dip in sales they worried about. By the time third issues are solicited, the first issues have been released, so if a book sees a bump in off-the-shelf sales, third issues are ordered in greater number than second issues.

To limit this, companies, especially Marvel, created second printing varients for second issues to increases sales (RE: keep the book alive).

Three of the biggest selling Marvel titles of the 80s were Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian and G.I. Joe. They weren't Marvel Universe titles but they were inescapable.

Marvel Team-Up was less a huge title than a fact of life.

The original Secret Wars was a monster seller.

By modern standards, ANY Marvel title was a huge seller compared to now. Any title selling under 150,000 issues a month was cancelled. Today that would be a top 3 title.

Marvel Team-Up was less a huge title than a fact of life.

Not only is that my favorite book of all time, but it is, in fact, a fact of life. First box of comics I ever bought had fifty-ish issues in it. I read those things over and over again all summer.

I also lump that into the Spider-Man titles, because lets face it, if it wasn't Spider-Man & ______, you were sad inside. Hulk & Ka-Zar? No sir. I'd rather have Spider-Man team-up with Frank from Accounting. "In this issue, Spider-Man gets tax advice!"

DC is going political with two new books. Franco and Baltazar are on one, and Simone is on the other.

Solicits:

THE GREEN TEAM #1

Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO

Art by IG GUARA

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

1:25 Variant cover by CLIFF CHIANG

On sale MAY 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

INVENTORS! EXPLORERS! ADVENTURERS! Do you need money to finance an important project? Then you should set up a meeting with THE GREEN TEAM!

• Nature of world-changing idea:

• Amount requested:

• Does your project have the potential to:

Fracture space-time?

Replace the combustion engine?

Attract extraterrestrial attention?

Prove/disprove existence of deities?

Piss off The Justice League?

Render the human body obsolete?

If any of the above are checked, please fill out liability release form GT2013-05. Send any 82 drawings, plans, models, or photos with request.

THE MOVEMENT #1

Written by GAIL SIMONE

Art by FREDDIE WILLIAMS II

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

1:25 Variant cover by CLIFF CHIANG

On sale MAY 1 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

We are faceless. We are limitless. We see all. And we do not forgive.

Who defends the powerless against the GREEDY and the CORRUPT? Who protects the homeless and poverty-stricken from those who would PREY upon them in the DARK OF NIGHT?

When those who are sworn to protect us abuse their power, when toxic government calls down super-human lackeys to force order upon the populace…finally, there is a force, a citizen’s army, to push order BACK. Let those who abuse the system know this as well: We have our OWN super humans now. They are not afraid of your badges or Leagues. And they will not be SILENCED.

We are your neighbors. We are your co-workers. And we are your children.

...Huh.

This news on the heel of a bunch of cancellations, by the way:

• Ravagers # 7 - 16,177
  • Team 7 #3 - 15,381
  • Sword of Sorcery #3 - 13,752
  • Savage Hawkman #15 - 13,564
  • Deathstroke #15 - 13,528
  • Fury of Firestorm the Nuclear Men #15 - 11,997

The above from http://comicsbeat.co...ncelled-titles/

Hey remember when DC was all like, "We're dedicated to bringing female readers to comics"? SoS lasted about as long as it takes a fart to clear a room.

Interesting to note the Liefeld touch on the books that have been cancelled, though he would be the first to tell you that the sales dropped after he left.

Scarily also notes that Dial H currently sells 16,217. I'm done if they cancel it.

This news on the heel of a bunch of cancellations, by the way:

• Ravagers # 7 - 16,177
  • Team 7 #3 - 15,381
  • Sword of Sorcery #3 - 13,752
  • Savage Hawkman #15 - 13,564
  • Deathstroke #15 - 13,528
  • Fury of Firestorm the Nuclear Men #15 - 11,997

The above from http://comicsbeat.co...ncelled-titles/

Hey remember when DC was all like, "We're dedicated to bringing female readers to comics"? SoS lasted about as long as it takes a fart to clear a room.

Interesting to note the Liefeld touch on the books that have been cancelled, though he would be the first to tell you that the sales dropped after he left.

Scarily also notes that Dial H currently sells 16,217. I'm done if they cancel it.

Worst part about those sales numbers? Aren't those the retailer purchased numbers, not the sell through numbers, so in theory, the actual numbers could be a lot worse.