The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

I actually kinda liked 'Sword of Sorcery.' Stupid that they didn't even get a chance to finish their opening arc. It certainly wasn't as bad as the rest of those.

Team 7 particularly sucked. Hey, here's all these characters that you kind of know, already in media res. You want their backgrounds? Fuuuuuuckkk youuuuuu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I have a big problem with this

It's not just that it's objectifying a female character from a comic, it's the character that they're objectifying. Halo Jones was specifically built around not being a femme fatale or a sex object and while she did extraordinary things, she herself was meant to be ordinary. She could have been someone you knew or even you in a way that you couldn't really get from Dredd or Slaine or Batman or Superman. She wasn't a sexless character, but she also was meant to be something other than a sex icon. I don't know whether the fact that Ian Gibson was the one who drew these prints makes it better or worse.

I have a big problem with this

It's not just that it's objectifying a female character from a comic, it's the character that they're objectifying. Halo Jones was specifically built around not being a femme fatale or a sex object and while she did extraordinary things, she herself was meant to be ordinary. She could have been someone you knew or even you in a way that you couldn't really get from Dredd or Slaine or Batman or Superman. She wasn't a sexless character, but she also was meant to be something other than a sex icon. I don't know whether the fact that Ian Gibson was the one who drew these prints makes it better or worse.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/when-the-topless-halo-jones-was-covered-up/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's been pulled now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this just me, or does anyone else find The Walking Dead comic and TV Shows work a lot better in larger chunks, than issue by issue, or episode by episode? Like reading an entire trade at once, or several episodes of the show in one long sitting.

I'm in the middle of volume 14: No Way Out, and quite frankly, I found the last two volumes to be slightly boring, as they were just busy setting up the new status quo, and it felt like it took them forever, so, I'm now starting to think, even the actual trades of The Walking Dead are reading better as like 3 at once, rather than one at a time, as just reading those slower volumes, was very unfulfilling, and rather draining, especially for 12 and 13.

I just got finished reading Batman Family #1 from 1976. The lead story tells of Congresswoman Barbara Gordon and her part-time-secretary-during-school-break Dick Grayson (this is all in continuity, folks), who are Batgirl and Robin completely unbeknownst to each other, teaming up to fight the ghost of Benedict Arnold, sent to ruin the upcoming Bicentennial celebrations by Satan himself.

I swear to God this is a real thing.

Bronze Age, bitches.

*drops mic*