The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I've recently been trying to branch out and read some "non-mainstream" comics. Last night I went crazy and purchased the first volumes of Preacher, Fatale, and Daytripper as well as the second volume of Sleeper. I've also read Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Persepolis in the past. A few that consistently pop up as Amazon recommendations are Saga, Transmetropolitan, and Sandman. I was wondering if these were any good and if any of you have any other good recommendations for the kind of books that I am look for.

Saga is really good if you're looking to follow something as it comes out. Little bit shocking but it's one of the more original sci-fi/fantasy books out there.

Other strong non-mainstream books include-

DMZ- Modern American Civil War with New York as the safezone between the sides.

100 Bullets- All style and a confusing overall story but some of the individual arcs are awesome.

Y The Last Man- I like it more than a lot of others, but it's a good take on the crumbling of society after a hugely destructive event.

However more than any of those I'm a fan of Gotham Central. Yes it's a DC book in the main DC universe but it's actually a detective book. Think The Shield if Batman's name came up every so often.

Saga rocks hard. First volume is super cheap.

Morning Glories is great too. First volume also super cheap. Think LOST at a prep school, but better than you're thinking.

Bedlam I just finished the first volume of and is likely the best comic I've read all year but it's gruesome and mean-spirited. It's beautiful though.

Fatale. If you enjoy Sleeper, this is Brubaker and Phillips carrying the noir thing into the horror/fantasy realm.

The Manhatten Projects is an alternate history book with crazy super science. If you like any Matt Fraction, especially his FF run, go for it.

Saga was really good.

Locke and Key is a personal favorite. This family moves into a house where there are all these keys that do different things. It has some horror and mystery elements and its been pretty consistently good.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris lent me Book 1 of Drowntown by Robbie Morrison and Jim Murray. Really impressive work, gorgeous art style. Can't wait to check out Book 2.

Currently reading through Amazing Spider-man from issue 1. Aside from the issue where the Tinkerer teams up with un-named and forever absent thereafter aliens it's cool to see how many of these initial foes have become iconic Spider-man stalwarts. Peter's a lot less noble too, more of a frustrated nerd slash wannabe entrepreneur than an out and out hero. It's this combination that makes him so much more of an everyman than most heroes, it's clear why he's one of the top three of all time.

Best bit so far- Flash decides to scare Puny Parker by dressing as Spider-man, however just as he's about to leap out from behind a fence Dr Doom shows up and gasses him thinking he's the real deal. Peter wanders past none the wiser. Utterly hilarious.

In an effort to read the first 100 issues of The Walking Dead, I've learned that Rick is one of the most unlikeable characters I've ever read. Worse, he's treated like an angel by Kirkman; even when Tyreese calls him on his shit, we're supposed to feel bad for Rick. Then, he gets a huge ranty speech that's supposed to make him look like a hero, but, to me, makes him look like an asshole.

And don't get me started on the subtle racism and sexism.

I think I'll keep going, but I really want to see Rick die. Which, I know, doesn't happen.

In an effort to read the first 100 issues of The Walking Dead, I've learned that Rick is one of the most unlikeable characters I've ever read. Worse, he's treated like an angel by Kirkman; even when Tyreese calls him on his shit, we're supposed to feel bad for Rick. Then, he gets a huge ranty speech that's supposed to make him look like a hero, but, to me, makes him look like an asshole.

And don't get me started on the subtle racism and sexism.

I think I'll keep going, but I really want to see Rick die. Which, I know, doesn't happen.

I've lost interest in The Walking Dead comic. For me, the series peaked with issue 48, and after that, it just became the same thing over and over again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how long Steranko's been on Twitter, but my feed has been much cooler for the week and a half I've been following him. Including a funny exchange between him and a Black Widow cosplayer who wanted to "meet him."

Things such as her posting a picture with George Perez and saying she wanted to meet all of her favorite creators (tweeted @ Steranko).

Steranko said "stay away from Perez, he's a dirty old man. Sadly, I'm not, but I am partial to redheads" or something very close to that effect.

It's so fucking cool that i thought it was a parody account at first, but I'm certain it's genuine now.