Aaron Robinson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just caught up with Hawkeye yesterday and I can totally see why they had trouble picking between the two.

prv13452_pg5.jpg

Daredevil_26_Preview2.jpg

If this is the direction of a lot of comic art away from overmuscled maniacs and towards Michael Larkesque shading and simplicity then I'm all for it. If I had to pick the best drawn books right now these would be right up there. Although I really do love Pichelli on Ultimate Spider-man.

detail.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

“Batman did pretty well, so I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do Kamandi [The Last Boy on Earth], this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch … and he said, ‘You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don’t publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year-olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do Scooby-Doo. And I thought, ‘I guess we just broke up.’”

Paul Pope, relating his attempt to pitch an all-ages (or perhaps young-adult) title to DC Comics, during his Comic-Con International conversation with Gene Luen Yang.

A rundown of the Image founders' personalities on Twitter:

Todd McFarlane - "Hey, this is Todd's social media guy: buy things!"

Jim Lee - "Hey, this is Jim. Buy DC!"

Whilce Portacio - "Hey, I'm just a guy."

Marc Silvestri - "Hey, I'm also just a guy, but I have the hottest wife in comics."

Jim Valentino - "I still work at Image, you know. To prove it, I don't have a Twitter account. But Shadowline does. Buy Shadowline!"

Rob Liefeld - "I'm still relevant! Love me! I created Deadpool! Basketball!"

Erik Larsen - "Fuck John Byrne!"

From a storytelling standpoint, Year One does have it's share of issues. While the young Bruce making mistakes is refreshing, the way his internal dialouges are laid out is beyond cliche. The Gordon arc is great... ...aside from the entirely pointless affair with Sarah Essen. Selina Kyle is a prostitute because Frank Miller has some serious issues with his mother.

The ending has some nice moments and Mazzucchelli's art is perfect, but Year One is more fondly remembered than it ought to be.

I still like Year One, which is a damn sight more than I can say for TDKR, that fucking abortion.