The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Just back from Vancouver, and I was able to step into a comic shop on Granville Street that I try to hit up once a year. They always have a great "clearance" section, but this time was spectacular. I bought Mystery Men from marvel in hardcover for $8.99 (cover: $21.99) which is a pretty typical deal there. I've never seen omnibuses there before. I bought X-Men X-Tinction Agenda for $9.99! (cover price $55.99!) and the Evolutionary War for $24.99 (cover: 83.99)!

They also had Age of Apocalypse for $19 and the real kick in the teeth Atlantis Attacks for $9.99 (which I paid four times that at half off).

Crazy deals...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

In what could only be considered a victory for Ghost Rider co-creator Gary Friedrich, Marvel Comics has apparently offered a settlement in his case against the publisher for ownership of the character.

Friedrich’s attorney informed a federal judge in New York that the creator and Marvel have worked out a deal to dismiss the lengthy case without having to go to trial. The details of that deal haven’t been revealed and the agreement hasn’t yet been fully executed.

In June, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals opened the door to Friedrich having some claim to the character, stating that a work-for-hire contract he signed in 1978 were ambiguous on the topic of copyright renewal. That ruling overturned a judge’s ruling stating that Friedrich had no claim to Ghost Rider.

Friedrich sued Marvel over ownership of the character in 2007, after the first Ghost Rider movie was released.

The news is surprising given the lack of similar settlements in other high profile comic book copyright battles, like Marvel’s lengthy courtroom saga with the Kirby family (although it doesn’t necessarily mean settlements weren’t discussed in those cases). That a settlement is evidently possible could open the door to further creator claims to characters or other litigation.

Here's something interesting: an article from a 1971 issue of Rolling Stone detailing a visit to the Marvel offices. It's actually kind of a downer; Marvel's best days are clearly behind them at this point (Kirby had left the year before). It's not actually terribly well-written, but there's a nice write-up of Flo Steinberg, Marie Severin is very candid concerning the Bullpenners' opinions regarding the fanboys that managed to track their way to the Marvel offices, and the author managed to catch Stan on a day when he didn't feel like putting on the "Stan 'The Man' Lee" persona.

What is the appeal of the Stephanie Brown character? Her stories are kinda dull. I do not get the rabid fanbase. Both Babs and Cass Cain had much, much more interesting turns as Batgirl.

Read her most recent run by Bryan Q Miller. Good stuff.

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned "turns as Batgirl," so maybe you were referring to that run anyway. In that case, I retort that I do not get peoples' not-getting of the appeal of the Stephanie Brown character. I like her relatability and the fun she brought to Batgirl.

• 2 weeks later...

In the past few days, I've been hearing multiple people refer to the period after comics' Bronze Age, from roughly 1984/5ish (Secret Wars, Crisis) to 1991/2ish (the Image revolution), encompassing Watchmen, Dark Knight, the rise of limited series and events, etc., as the Copper Age.

While it makes sense to continue the metallurgic and historical analogy, and "Dark Age" was probably never going to take hold permanently, that still seems kind of dopey to me.

It's almost as if Liefeld knew that he could get creator credit if he just added more shit to Iron Maiden's helmet.

Also, Stryfe's tits are bigger.

Man, it's been forever since I read any old THUNDER Agents. Wally Wood did some amazing stuff in there.