The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Rob Liefeld was the same way with Shatterstar a couple of years ago when Peter David wrote him into a relationship with Rictor. He got up in arms about a character he wrote for like 10 issues being gay. While I'm all for creator's rights, I will say that some characters are allowed to evolve under someone else's care, especially if they're essentially a lifeless caricature of an action hero. Deadpool himself didn't get any of the traits he's famous for (namely the breaking of the fourth wall, the anti-hero persona) until Joe Kelly started writing him 6 years later.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fabian Niceza took what was a terrible Deathstroke ripoff in a recolored Spider-Man Costume and gave him a personality in those first few appearances. Later on, he would be the guy who wrote the outstanding Cable and Deadpool series. He deserves the credit.

I genuinely like Liefeld's DCnU Hawk & Dove #1, I think his style has gotten somewhat better over the years, and I believe he gets WAY~! too much shit from fanboys (thanks to the still-persistent Wizard Magazine mentality). However, he needs to shut his mouth sometimes.

The John Wise collection, which contained some mid-to-high grade copies of some insane comics, all of them CGC-graded, including:

Detective Comics #1

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Flash Comics #1 (first Flash, first Hawkman)

All-American Comics #6 (first Green Lantern)

Batman #1

Superman #1

Wonder Woman #1

Whiz Comics #2 (first Captain Marvel)

Marvel Comics #1

sold this week for only $1.5 million.

So, I'm trying to place the first X-Men trade I ever read, and I'm having trouble doing so. It was at the local library, and this was when XMen Evolution was still on TV, so put it between 2000 and 2003, or prior to that. Salient plot points were these:

-Cyclops was with Magneto on some island (not sure if it was Genosha or the Savage Land)

-the Sentinels attacked

-Magneto rewired the Sentinels to attack the humans for vengeance (the phrase "smell the burning flesh of their children" was used)

-Apparently this was the point where Cyclops started to have issues

-Magneto attempted to execute the President on national TV, and take over America (not sure if he succeeded.)

Help?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I took advantage of the Marvel unlimited $.99 first month deal.

Suggest me comics that are available that I should read. Safely assume that I have not read it unless it's Hawkeye, Young Avengers, or the run of Deadpool that happened while Norman Osborne was in power and it briefly crossed over with the Thunderbolts. EDIT: That's Secret Invasion/Dark Reign. Oh and Nextwave and the most recent Ms Marvel up to #2 and FrankenCastle. EDIT EDIT: Add most of New XMen and the Whedon XMen run too.

The Claremont/Byrne X-Men run.

Daredevil: Born Again (Miller/Mazzuchelli).

Any Kirby FF they have.

Invincible Iron Man by Fraction and LaRocca.

Brubaker's Captain America.

Avengers: Under Siege (Stern/Buscema).