Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I got the DC Comics Visual History for Christmas and have, day-by-day, been making my way through it. It's a year-by-year and eventually month-by-month rundown of the most notable comics and events in the company's history, ever since Detective Comics first published in 1937.

Through this I've been made aware of two things: 1-that the company always went through times of struggle and crisis every decade for the first half of its existence. Especially in the 70s during the DC Implosion.

2-, it can't be denied that DC's best decade was the 1990s. Every year it's just hit after hit after hit, beginning with the Dark Knight Returns in 1986, and having a string of financial and critical successes straight through the year 2000. I love 90s DC, but seeing it broken down year by year really makes it incontrovertible that they ruled the industry in the 90s.

DC in the 1990s, especially the back-half, was beyond amazing. And I'm not even talking Vertigo. The regular DCU saw such an explosion I'm honestly shocked they didn't wind up buying Marvel when they went bankrupt.

This. Every word. DC was unafraid to take chances and it led to some truly amazing work.

Aztek, Xero, Impulse, JLA, The Spectre, Martian Manhunter, Hitman, Star Man, Resurrection Man, Young Justice, Batman: Black and White, Nightwing, Robin, Kingdom fucking Come.

You can go back and read all that (and so much more), but, really, you had to live it. I hate to sound like an old man, but being there -- reading it in the moment -- you could feel the energy and excitement. Not getting the next issue wasn't even an option.

Cracked has become a remarkably smart site in the past year or so. They do still run the occasional "The 7 Best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (That Aren't Michaelangelo)" articles, but they've actually produced some really informative stories since they began their series of interviewing people with bizarre stories, jobs, and experiences.

They do still run the occasional "The 7 Best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (That Aren't Michaelangelo)" articles

Venus de Milo at number one is always a foregone conclusion.

Fun fact: a friend of mine in high school did all the skateboarding for that show WHEN HE WAS SIXTEEN!

He's dead now.

Okay, that was only a half fun fact.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys. You guys. Marvel is coming out with a 1990s Marvel Firsts Omnibus and are totally steering into the skid.

Revisit comics' most divisive decade with a giant-sized compendium of daring debuts! All your favorites are here: Deadpool! Nomad! X-Force! Scarlet Spider! Quicksilver! ClanDestine! Venom! Nightwatch! Gambit! Vengeance! Spider-Man 2099! The Thunderbolts! Plus Ghost Rider and Deathlok, reinvented for the '90s! Guns! Swords! Leather! Clones! Pouches! Don't dis the '90s, they're totally dope!

COLLECTING: Deadpool: the Circle Chase #1, Cable (1993) #1, Venom: Lethal Protector #1, Gambit (1993) #1, Spider-Man 2099 (1992) #1, War Machine (1994) #1, Darkhawk #1, X-Force (1991) #1, Web of Spider-Man (1985) #118, Tales of the Marvel Universe 1, Generation X San Diego Preview 1 & MORE!