Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The summary actually calls it divisive.

You'd be hard-pressed to name a decade in comics, especially at Marvel, that was nearly as divisive as the 1990s. The fans who came of age in that era look back at the era with enormous fondness. I personally don't, but can't deny that some great stuff came out (Spidey 2099, Thunderbolts, Marvels) and some genuinely important, if not necessarily to my taste, stuff did as well (the Clone Saga, the Lee X-Men era), and I can always understand people loving the era of comics when they were becoming fans; I'm the first to acknowledge that the 1980s was generally not Marvel's finest era, but hot damn do I love reading that shit. Not to acknowledge the controversial (for lack of a better word) nature of the decade would be a mistake, and frankly is kind of a selling point for them.

Now, if they were to do this for the 1970s or 1980s Firsts volumes (the 1960s volume was only one book), I'd think seriously about grabbing them.

I'm the first to acknowledge that the 1980s was generally not Marvel's finest era, but hot damn do I love reading that shit. Not to acknowledge the controversial (for lack of a better word) nature of the decade would be a mistake, and frankly is kind of a selling point for them.

Isn't the 80s,particularly the Shooter-era, considered one of the best decades for Marvel? I'm a modern comics fan and I have two all-time favorites from the 80s, namely Miller-Janson's Daredevil and DeFalco-Frenz's ASM.

TLS: The 80s had some definite all-time high points (Claremont/Byrne X-Men, Simonson Thor, Miller Daredevil) and some distinctly above average runs (Mantlo's Hulk, Englehart's West Coast Avengers, Byrne's Fantastic Four, pretty much anything Roger Stern touched), but so did any decade. By and large, if you went to the corner store on a random month and took a look at the spinner rack, the vast majority of what you saw was fairly safe, bland stuff. I enjoy reading it because it's what I grew up reading, but I can see how rote a lot of it is.

Here's everything in the omnibus:

Ghost Rider (1990) #1

Deathlok (1990) #1

New Warriors (1990) #1

Foolkiller (1990) #1

Darkhawk #1

Sleepwalker #1

X-Force (1991) #1

X-Factor (1986) #71

Warlock and The Infinity Watch #2

Death's Head II (1992A) #1

Silver Sable and The Wild Pack #1

Terror, Inc. (1992) #1

Night Thrasher: Four Control #1

Darkhold: Pages from The Book of Sins #1

Nightstalkers #1

Spider-Man 2099 (1992) #1

Venom: Lethal Protector #1

Cable (1993) #1

Deadpool: The Circle Chase #1

Thunderstrike (1993) #1

Gambit (1993) #1

War Machine (1994) #1

Blackwulf #1

Force Works #1

Blade the Vampire-Hunter (1994) #1

Generation X San Diego Preview

Fantastic Force (1994) #1

Web of Spider-Man (1985) #118

Bishop #1

X-Man #1

Elektra: Root of Evil #1

Green Goblin #1

Captain Marvel (1995) #1

Heroes for Hire (1997) #1

Maverick #1

Quicksilver #1

Spider-Girl (1998) #1

Slingers #0

Spider-Woman (1999) #1

Deathlok (1999) #1

Warlock (1999) #1

And material from:

Captain America Annual #9

Web of Spider-Man (1985) #100

Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #147 and #158

Tales of the Marvel Universe

It's for people who either fondly look back on that era as the time they got into comics, or people who remember how insane that era was and want to revisit that. The top half of the 90s saw floppies selling hundreds of thousands of copies as a matter of course, and it was easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all.

Also, and this should go without saying by now, but never, under any circumstances, EVER pay MSRP for an Omnibus. Collections in general are way overpriced, but Omnibuses are especially crazy. If you can't look online for a much, much better deal than that, it's because you don't have an internet connection.

Also, and this should go without saying by now, but never, under any circumstances, EVER pay MSRP for an Omnibus. Collections in general are way overpriced, but Omnibuses are especially crazy.

This, right here. DCBS had it pre-sale for $62.50, the Amazon price will drop very soon, and you'll see it selling on eBay for $75-90.

Right. That $125 price point is for the LCS who HAS to sell it at that price in order to keep his doors open, and knows that he has a customer who will pay that much to carry it home immediately, rather than go home, order it, and have to wait a couple of days for it to come, despite saving $50.

I really enjoy the Omnibus format, but if I can't find it on eBay or IST (who doesn't always have the best selection, but what they have is crazy marked-down), I don't need it that badly.

From the Image Expo:

"Next out in the fray: Kaare Kyle Andrews, most recently of "Iron Fist: The Living Weapon." "I was just in New York, after I finished 'Iron Fist: The Living Weapon' #12, and my editor took me out to dinner," Andrews said, thinking it was a celebratory dinner after he wrote, drew, inked and colored 12 issues of "Iron Fist." He said his editor told him, "Marvel is happy to pay for your dinner, but if you want a drink, you'll have to pay for it yourself." He then asked if he could come by the office while he was in town, and said he was told, "We don't let visitors up any more, you know, security reasons." "But I've been working for Marvel for 16 years!" "I love the people at Marvel," Andrews said. "I would put my life on the line for them, and I love those characters. But as I had that dinner, I had a clear view of the landscape. I don't get benefits from Marvel, I don't get overtime, I don't get vacations. I don't work for Marvel Comics -- I'm a visitor, and I've been visiting for 16 years. I work for myself.""

Summary of the Image Expo: *me just throwing all my money at them*

In all seriousness though, the Baboushka thing looks neat, as does Cry Havoc, the Rucka/Scott cop witch thing, Aaron doing a take on the flood tale, and Snotgirl. But above all else I need the Lotay/Ellis Northern England folk tale female singer thing like burning,

From the Image Expo:

"Next out in the fray: Kaare Kyle Andrews, most recently of "Iron Fist: The Living Weapon." "I was just in New York, after I finished 'Iron Fist: The Living Weapon' #12, and my editor took me out to dinner," Andrews said, thinking it was a celebratory dinner after he wrote, drew, inked and colored 12 issues of "Iron Fist." He said his editor told him, "Marvel is happy to pay for your dinner, but if you want a drink, you'll have to pay for it yourself." He then asked if he could come by the office while he was in town, and said he was told, "We don't let visitors up any more, you know, security reasons." "But I've been working for Marvel for 16 years!" "I love the people at Marvel," Andrews said. "I would put my life on the line for them, and I love those characters. But as I had that dinner, I had a clear view of the landscape. I don't get benefits from Marvel, I don't get overtime, I don't get vacations. I don't work for Marvel Comics -- I'm a visitor, and I've been visiting for 16 years. I work for myself.""

Fucking. Wow.

Y'see, fans have a weird view of things when it comes to the Big Two. It's DC that looks awful to the fans with last minute changes and borderline insane new series with puzzling talent, but they actually treat their employees well. Everything I've heard about Marvel is how shitty they are to their employees.

If there's a creative person working for them they should be treating well, it's Kaare Andrews.

Today at the Montreal Comic-Con, artist of shitty zombie homage covers Arthur Suydam stole table space from Rachel Richey (who's been restoring and reprinting Canadian comics), Dan Parent, and Francis Manapul. According to other creators, he's been doing this for years.