The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Checking out some 90's Avengers. Really hope Triathlon has an evil counterpart named Pentathlon, who then gets over as a popular character in his own right so they need a new villain his place and they come up with Decathlon. And maybe he has a kid sidekick named Biathlon.

90's.

The funny thing is, that Busiek Avengers run is the least 90s thing Marvel published that decade.

My computer's acting up so I need to actually type out the whole link, but Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez' 1982 DC Style Guide is online in its entirety, and it's gorgeous.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.207954002578217.59091.207950722578545&type=3

As someone who was in single digits back then, I can confirm: if you had a toy, lunchbox, coloring book, anything with a DC character on it, this is what you saw. This shit WAS DC Comics in the 80s. A lot of merch STILL uses it.

The DC Role Playing Game is awash in it. I have it on my shelf, unplayed, but break it out just to look at it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a semi intoxicated shower thought, but I don't think I've ever wanted a crossover more than Marvel's Wolfman/Colan Dracula and DC's Morrison/Mahnke (or Lemire/Ponticelli) Frankenstein.

This, of course, comes from the realization that since Ben is a vampire for Halloween and he really loves slapping people, that he needs to be Tomb of Dracula Dracula. So, you know, Toddler Mustache.

Edited by Preston

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's from Godzilla versus Charles Barkley (Dark Horse Comics, 1993). 

Kind of freaked out when I saw that the John Byrne Avengers OMnibus was solicited and then that it does not include his classic run (which is bullshit because it's really the only good run of his). So I'll pass.

Captain America Epic Collection Man Without a Country: thoughts? Never read it. Was off Big 2 at the time. Worth grabbing? @Dan 

Edited by Dread

Captain America Epic Collection Man Without a Country: thoughts? Never read it. Was off Big 2 at the time. Worth grabbing?

@Dan

At that price, no, not really. It's a very solid, above-average run, if a bit 90s to my taste. Bear in mind I'm a total mark for Waid. Definitely worth reading, but I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Captain America Epic Collection Man Without a Country: thoughts? Never read it. Was off Big 2 at the time. Worth grabbing?

@Dan

At that price, no, not really. It's a very solid, above-average run, if a bit 90s to my taste. Bear in mind I'm a total mark for Waid. Definitely worth reading, but I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...