The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, generally I'm lenient with comic timelines and continuity. I understand that some characters need to be in two, sometimes three, books at once. But lately it seems that both companies are completely ignoring everything and just doing whatever the hell they want. And it's no longer just Marvel fucking with their big guns. It's both companies.

Marvel is the biggest offender of course:

- Wolverine is currently on three teams? More? X-Force, X-Men, New Avengers, then he's in his own book. Last month, that put him: in the future, in NYC, on an island in San Francisco Bay and in Russia.

- BuckyCap is currently trying to save Steve Rogers and in NYC fighting Norman Osborn. He also recently traveled back in time to WWII with the other New Avengers while doing all this.

- Spider-Man is a mess. He's currently living in an apartment with some chick I still haven't figured out - and is crashing with the rest of the New Avengers at BuckyCap's house. He is also battling Osborn on two different fronts, in his book and in New Avengers, and just became Mayor J. Jonah Jameson's official photographer.

- Black Widow is

currently a captive of Norman Osborn

... and is also helping Maria Hill escape her captors to help Tony Stark ... and is helping BuckyCap bring back Steve Rogers.

Formerly pretty solid DC is getting almost as bad:

- Hal Jordan is fighting the Black Lanterns in space, is fighting the Black Lanterns on Earth with Barry Allen and is crusading in Cry For Justice.

- Red Robin is

tracking down Bruce Wayne and nearly dying in Iraq

and

saving Dick and Damian in Blackest Night: Batman

- Wonder Woman is fighting supervillains side-by-side with Black Canary in her own book, helping the minor league JLA in that book and is

a captive of some crazy slavery dude

in Secret Six.

And, honestly, Dick and Superman are in too many books to count. And Ollie and Barry are nearly the same.

Really, I'm just asking for advice here. How do you reconcile these things in your head while you read? Do you just not care? Is anything canon anymore? Or perhaps EVERYTHING is canon now, and time has no meaning.

That is freaking great. Couple of questions though:

- What's with Babs in full on Batgirl gear? She's probably been Oracle longer at this point.

- Who is the girl sitting on Clayface's shoulder?

- Why does Batwoman have black hair?

- Are the proportions in Nguyen's work always so far off? (Bats having a huge upper body, Penguin being gigantic, Scarecrow being the tallest person in the DCU)

Those are just minor irritations, though. I'd hang that on my wall it's so cool. (My wife probably wouldn't let me though)

EDIT: The Batwoman in the panels on the linked page has red hair, so I guess it was just a goof.

That is freaking great. Couple of questions though:

- What's with Babs in full on Batgirl gear? She's probably been Oracle longer at this point.

- Who is the girl sitting on Clayface's shoulder?

- Why does Batwoman have black hair?

- Are the proportions in Nguyen's work always so far off? (Bats having a huge upper body, Penguin being gigantic, Scarecrow being the tallest person in the DCU)

Those are just minor irritations, though. I'd hang that on my wall it's so cool. (My wife probably wouldn't let me though)

EDIT: The Batwoman in the panels on the linked page has red hair, so I guess it was just a goof.

I'd excuse most of that stuff, because this isn't meant to be a press release. Nyguen posted it as a fun doodle on his Deviant Art a few months (maybe a year) ago. Someone at DC picked up on it and made an offer for an Annual.

The little girl is Annie, from the New Batman Adventures Episodes, Growing Pains. She's

a portion of Clayface that got amnesia, became friends with Robin, and then was re-absorbed into Clayface, royally pissing Robin off.

Edit: Also, Nguyen was going intentionally cartoony here. His proportions in most work are normal: cover-large.jpg

I like when Nguyen did these style of covers for his Detective issues with Dini.

The mad hatter and Scarface ones are also awesome.

Also, everyone still knows Babs best as Batgirl, even though she's been Oracle for around well over decade now, I think.

a_little_Batman_Annual_by_duss005.jpg

I can't be the only person who's now hoping for a fill in issue of Tiny Titans with Dustin Nguyen doing the art.

Screw the trivialisation of the modern rogues gallery. Both the DC and Marvel universes have downplayed the individual threat posed by classic villains by just throwing them into makeshift super teams with no characterisation. Case in point, and this is bad editorial oversight too, Matt Fraction spends several issues of Invincible Iron Man bringing back classic villain The Controller and making him a really creepy evil threat. All of this effort was wasted by making him a goofy untrustworthy sidekick in Dark Reign: The Hood. Really? The guy was a major Iron Man and Captain Marvel villain and now he's comedy sidekick to Marvel's Spawn/The Darkness ripoff? He's on a level footing with Mandrill? Can I get a fucking editor in here so that this sort of shit doesn't happen?