The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been trolling the ComicVine forums a little, and it's become readily apparent to me that I'm no longer the target audience for comics. I've seen a thread extolling how cool Onslaught, Stryfe, Spawn, the new GunCovered WarMachine, and various other 90s creatures look. Say what you want about nineties comics, but no one looked good.

I'm never talking about comics anywhere else, ever again. Makes me appreciate E-2, all the more.

I know what you’re thinking — “Didn’t they just announce a new ACTION COMICS writer?” Well, we did. But stuff has changed and we’ll get to that in one second.

Firstly, starting in June, HUGO award-nominated writer Paul Cornell will join interior artist Pete Woods and cover artist David Finch on ACTION COMICS. Cornell comes to DC with a very shiny resume, including work as a novelist and in comics and television — notably, for the Dr. Who series. Cornell steps in at a critical point for our hero, coming out of THE WAR OF THE SUPERMEN. So, what does he have in store? Well, let’s ask him. Take it away, Paul:

“I’m proud and honored to be taking on such a historic title. It’s particularly great to begin by featuring Lex Luthor, who’s always been one of my favourite characters. So many legendary creators have written this title in the past that I’m giddy and frankly terrified at the prospect of following in their footsteps.”

And who wouldn’t be psyched to work with artists like Woods and Finch? As you can see from the Luthor image above by Mr. Finch and the Woods images below, ACTION promises to earn its title in spades.

But what of Marc Guggenheim, who we announced as the new ACTION writer a ways back? Well, we swung by Superman Group Editor Matt Idelson’s office for some info. Matt?

“I’m very bummed to be missing out on this chance to work with Marc who I think would have kicked some serious butt on ACTION. The story he pitched began to evolve into something quite different, something Marc knew would be great, but he had concerns about whether he was the man to write this tale. Rather than do a disservice to the book, the readers and himself, Marc decided to step away from ACTION, and we both know that sometime in the future, we’ll be collaborating on Superman for sure.

“With Guggs out of the picture, there was only one person to turn to, one writer who could bring this book to those Guggian heights while still making it his own—Paul Cornell. Shockingly, he accepted the challenge. In the short time we’ve been working together, his enthusiasm has blown me away!

Happily, no sooner had Marc stepped off than another editor swooped in to work with Marc on a project that will be announced in the near future.”

So, wait — we get an ongoing ACTION COMICS series from Cornell, Woods and Finch and a top-secret Guggenheim series? Sold.

Stay tuned to THE SOURCE for more on what’s next for Marc, and for some more upcoming SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS art.

DC's source

And the pics mentioned:

luthorinarmorcover-cmyk.jpgsmlsnk-0301600.jpgsmlsnk-0310-11600.jpg

While Ray Palmer didn't require reanimating during "Blackest Night," the size-changing hero is nonetheless finding new life during this summer's "Brightest Day" care of "Sweet Tooth" creator Jeff Lemire and "Dynamo 5" artist Mahmud Asrar (with a cover by Gary Frank).

atompreviewmain.jpg

The Ray Palmer action begins in the "Brightest Day: The Atom" #1 one-shot before springing into an ongoing "Adventure Comics" #516 co-feature this July and Editor Brian Cunningham seemed pretty stoked on the new creative team over at The Source.

Spiraling out of our next major event, writer Jeff Lemire worked with the 'Brightest Day' crew and myself to really take a microscope to Ray's early life and show how certain key events led a nerdy science whiz to the unlikely life of a superhero. And the stuff that Jeff came up with really impressed me. It's a story worthy of Ray Palmer.

I'm personally pretty split on co-features. I enjoy seeing top-tier creators tackle characters without ongoing series of their own, but being impatient, I usually dig more substantial fare month-to-month. As a pretty avid Lemire fan, however, I'll be checking this one out.

Link

Source story

Interview about this on CBR

The promo art for 2010's "this year in Spider-man did seen MJ/Peter orientated, I figured we'd get some sort of explanation. No use struggling, I enjoy Amazing Spidey quite a bit these days and I'm not skipping these issues unless they really start to offend.

Ryan Choi's stint as the Atom is just another in a long line of successors who get shunted out of the limelight by the person they were replacing. Ben Reilly is the most obvious, but DC's got a horrible record in this area too. Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Dick Grayson (twice soon), Connor Hawke, Holly Robinson, Hunter Zolomon, the list goes on. Its like every character who took over a role in the last 20 years has been judged unworthy by the people in power over the last 5 years.

Heck, Blackest Night killed the Owen Mercer Captain Boomerang (one of DC's best incidental characters)and killed Kendra Saunders as Hawkgirl just to bring back the fat old Digger Harkness and Shiera, which was nice but she's not my Hawkgirl, at least not in the comics. Kendra was supposed to be the amnesiac soul of Shiera all along but that was her deal, she was distinct from the first Hawkgirl.

I love Ted Kord, but I give it 5 years before someone says "hey, Jaime Reyes isn't the Blue Beetle I grew up with, lets get that guy back". It totally castrates the new guy and really hurts the value of being a legacy hero.

Ryan Choi had several years and is completely uninteresting. He served to force people to make Palmer as interesting as he's been in the past.

Kyle Rayner is still a Green Lantern and leading his own book.

Wally West has had a quarter century and has not been stripped of the title of Flash.

Let's face it, Dick SHOULDN'T be Batman even though I kind of like it.

Connor Hawke was a ruined character before GA came back.

Zolomon? Really? He's still around you know...plus he's being written by the guy who created him and has essentially been written that way since his creation.

Holly Robinson?

While I agree with most of those, Wally is a stretch. Do I like Barry's return? No, not at all. But Wally was The Flash for almost 25 years. He had an excellent run (no pun intended), and we've yet to see what they're going to do with him.

As for Dick, I'm not sure he won't be Batman for a good long while. The storyline is called "The Return of Bruce Wayne," not "The Return of Batman." Hopefully DC will keep both men around, with Bruce taking a backseat -- like Marvel is doing with Steve and Bucky.