The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

No no no no.

They got it all wrong. Wonder Woman needs be wearing even less under the jacket (which should be bulkier and have more pockets). She also needs to be holding a massive gun on the first cover, which will be holographic.

Honestly, it’s their character so they can do what they want with her. I just think the costume could be better. Replacing the jacket with something a little less goofy would be a good start.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still plan on reading and enjoying the comic, though. Should be great.

That's where you're wrong. JMS plans on defining the character by destroying everything that makes the character unique.

Yay.

The costume's the LEAST people should be worried about.

I still plan on reading and enjoying the comic, though. Should be great.

JMS plans on defining the character by destroying everything that makes the character unique.

Which is why I am tremendously uneasy about this. Starting over from scratch is the total wrong approach to take.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a temporary change. And JMS has a strong tendency to re-examine mythic characters by putting them in unusual circumstances, so I doubt it'll destroy the character. If anything, it'll build her up.

I mean, who'dve thought that putting Asgard in Kansas was a good idea? JMS. And he was right.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a temporary change. And JMS has a strong tendency to re-examine mythic characters by putting them in unusual circumstances, so I doubt it'll destroy the character. If anything, it'll build her up.

I mean, who'dve thought that putting Asgard in Kansas was a good idea? JMS. And he was right.

I just wish he'd try something new. Asgard in Kansas? Superman walking across America and now this? Learn a new tune, dude. A mythic character is still mythic in a mythic setting.

She's an Amazon, but that's it. She's not "mentally" different than a human. There's no reason for her not to act like a real person.

If appreciating real, honest-to-goodness stories about characters with realistic motivations is a crime, then sue me.

There's no reason not to treat Wonder Woman like she's not a real person. She's got a vastly different upbringing than most everyone else, but how does that make her literally inhuman?

She was made out of clay, raised by a mythic society of women warriors and fights the god of war every couple of weeks. You're right, totally human.

In fact, the very best she's ever been treated is as someone who is supposed to bring peace to humanity when she knows nothing of it.

What I mean is that she should still be treated like a person, not a flat character.

And hey, there's plenty of humans that live in extremely bizarre situations; that doesn't mean they're not still human underneath it all.

Sculpted out of clay or no, Diana is still mentally a real individual. She might have been raised differently, but that doesn't make her inhuman. Saying otherwise is exactly the same backwards attitude that's kept her character from really shining the way it should.

An individual is an individual, capable of making all the same choices as every other. There's no reason to say that Diana's not capable of being human just because of culture shock.

This is an awesome "alternate" costume, but it's not a replacement for the original.

Live action costumes are "alternate" costumes. They're the alternative to having actual people dress like cosplaying sexual deviants for the sake of being dictated by the source material. I didn't say it should replace the original, though I really don't care either way.

She still has her tiara and lasso. The only real difference is that she's wearing pants. Now she can get things done without having to file wedgies as an occupational hazard. It's not a big deal.

I think you could go with a version a lot closer to the original without being SO faithful that it looks like crap.

Some of the fan-made photoshopped live-action costumes (the ones inspired by Greek & Roman leather armor) look pretty good.

And hey, if it looks a little silly and cheesy, then so be it. Christopher Reeve got away with it.

I think you could go with a version a lot closer to the original without being SO faithful that it looks like crap.

Some of the fan-made photoshopped live-action costumes (the ones inspired by Greek & Roman leather armor) look pretty good.

And hey, if it looks a little silly and cheesy, then so be it. Christopher Reeve got away with it.

Chris Reeves was an awesome actor though.

I think they'd need an unknown, like Reeve was.

Some people have suggested Bridget Regan (Kahlan from Legend of the Seeker). She might be a little old (if they want to do the origin where she's in her early twenties), and I'm not sure if she's really got the acting chops for it, but it might work.

Re: The killing off all the Amazons bit.

I TOLD YOU SO.

Also, this bit?

Suppose you woke up one morning, or turned a corner, and suddenly the life you had been leading up to that moment…was not the life you were leading.

Suppose someone went back in time and changed one thing, and it changed your life to the point that you had little or no memory of what life had been like before the change happened. What would you do to get it back? Should you get it back? Who did it? And maybe more important…why did they do it?

Sounds like a OMD sort of thing.

I'm interested to see what JMS does with this, but this just is making me feel incredibly uneasy.

Jim Lee talks about the new costume.

I know I keep linking these, and I am slowly starting to realise DC only really went along with this to get people pissed about the change up with the character, and talking about WW.

For me personally, this has done nothing, I did not plan on buying JMS WW run, and I still don't plan to, as I still don't care about her.