The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally finished Y: The Last Man today.

I... I think I hate this series, and I feel guilty for saying that.

Don't.

I want to kick that last issue in the teeth and pee on it.

Careful. I hear it kinda likes that.

Think about every single question you have about the plot right now.

NOT A SINGLE ONE gets a satisfying answer. I would say that the ending ruins the entire series, but a lot of the stuff leading up to it didn't exactly set the world on fire for me either.

Some other general gripes include -

I hated the dialouge pretty much from the beginning. Normal people don't expel pop culture references out of every orifice the second they engage in coversation.

Without spoling things, Yorick becomes progressively more unlikeable as the story advances, to the point that I didn't give a sht about him at the end.

I think they really could have cut a good 20 issues from the whole thing. WAY too often do they get into the formula of stop at a city, meet a character, and within two issues, she's dead and never mentioned again.

I could go on forever really. I'm mostly just pissed that I invested so much time and effort into it and I felt utterly cheated at the end.

You know, I can buy what i think might be what they're going for: Yorick becoming more and more legendary the longer he's alive.

But it upsets me because for ages I have said that YtLM is one of the greatest comics ever written and now I have to take that back.

After reading through X-Factor 33 last night, I think I’ll be dropping the series. The pacing of the story wasn’t all that great, but the art was especially horrendous. Larry Stroman’s pencils are so abstract that it’s off-putting; it just doesn’t work for the comic. When I first read about them introducing Longshot and Darwin I was really interested to see how it would work, but I just don’t care anymore after reading through this.

It was one of the comics that got me interested in the medium last year, but whatever hooked me on it originally just isn’t there anymore.

So I grabbed Transmetropolitan #3 this week, and I’m wondering whether or not I should read the first two before making a start on this one. It was the earliest trade they had, so I just thought I’d get it, but I’m not sure if I’m going to be completely lost if I start reading at this point.

The other day a buddy of mine, who's interested in writing for Marvel, asked me if anything was being done with Norman Osborn. He's a little behind the times, so I told him about Osborn's leadership of the Thunderbolts, as well as his impregnation of Gwen Stacy.

Upon hearing the latter, his face contorted and he barked, "That's offensive! Who wrote that?"

"J. Michael Straczynski," I said.

"Fuck him! Fuck that!" He paused, then added, "What the fuck was Marvel thinking?"

Mind you, this is a guy who's 10 years older than me, so the earliest comics he read heavily featured Gwen, making her a huge part of his childhood. So to hear that she was impregnated by Norman and then killed in his rampage spoiled a little bit of the innocence surrounding her.

The term was first used in "Rough Justice," a story credited to both Alan Moore and Alan Davis published in July 1983 by Marvel UK in the anthology comic The Daredevils (and was later reprinted in the Captain Britain trade paperback). Saturnyne uses the term to differentiate Brian Braddock, the Captain Britain of the regular Marvel Comics universe, from the other members of the Captain Britain Corps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-616

• 1 month later...

Bit of a bump here, but I’ve been doing a fair bit of reading lately and I thought it would be worth giving my 2c.

I finished the 2nd trade of Sandman yesterday, and I’m pretty much hooked at this point. I enjoyed Preludes and Nocturnes for the most part, but The Doll’s House is where the series really clicked for me. The writing is fantastic, and I found myself really enjoying the newly introduced characters. I like that it takes the focus away from Dream and concentrates on building it’s own self-contained story, while still managing to tie the overarching plot with Dream into it.

My girlfriend brought me the complete Sin City collection for my birthday, and I’ve loved it so far. I wasn’t a fan of Millar’s art on DKR, but I really like it here. It’s nice that I can finally see what people are talking about when they explain how closely the movie followed the comic too.

And today I blew a ton of birthday money on comics. I’ve now got Sandman’s Dream Country, the first trade of All Star Superman and Transmetropolitan’s Lust for Life to read through. So I’ve got tons of comics to keep me busy over the next couple ofweeks.

I finished the 2nd trade of Sandman yesterday, and I’m pretty much hooked at this point. I enjoyed Preludes and Nocturnes for the most part, but The Doll’s House is where the series really clicked for me. The writing is fantastic, and I found myself really enjoying the newly introduced characters. I like that it takes the focus away from Dream and concentrates on building it’s own self-contained story, while still managing to tie the overarching plot with Dream into it.

You'll want to give Earth-2.net: The Show 270 a listen.