Episode 20

RSS

This week, the Bogart / Hepburn Extravaganza continues! And what are the films under the microscope this episode? 1954's Sabrina and 1942's Casablanca. The Married to Movies Dictionary gets bigger as Megan makes up another word! Megan pines over wishing she knew what color the dresses were, and Desmond has given up trying to make her like black and white films. The hosts are puzzled by the likelihood of car phones in the 50s. And Casablanca's black and white and considered the best film ever made by Desmond, so we all want to know what Megan thinks, right? Who sings the German national anthem? And how did the Greek language contribute to the worst school day of Desmond's life? Listen to find out, or Gestapo spank! [ 57:08 || 26.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/marriedtomovies/episodes/marriedtomovies_020.mp3

On Sabrina, I'm a fan of Billy Wilder and I will agree that it's not his best directing work but when you direct Sunset BLVD, The Apartment, Some Like It Hot, Double Indemnity, and The Lost Weekend, I think you're allowed to be slightly off your game.

On Casablanca, dear god, perfection. I quote the film often. I don't how much of the dialogue is adlibbed myself but I'm kinda in the mood to find out sometime. I can see why this would be your favorite movie, Des. Casablanca is in my top 10 everytime. You have all of these funny moments and they greatly contrast with the suspense moments. In the anthem scene, most of the tears are real. Many of the actors are ex-French nationals.

Also, Des, you should so do a white tuxedo.

• 3 weeks later...