Episode 83

RSS

Counts for nothing in my book. By that logic Arkham Asylum is in the same continuity, since Batman, Joker and Harley are all voiced by BTAS actors. Oh, and because Kevin Conroy did the voice of Batman in Gotham Knight and the Superman/batman films that must fit in. Oh and Mark Hammill reprised his role from the live action Flash as The Trickster in JLU, so that's in too. They've all as much claim to being in the DCAU universe as Teen Titans in my mind.

Plus the animation shift from Justice League to Static was no more or less than those major character designs shifted to go between their own shows, from BTAS to JLU is a big shift in how Batman was drawn. Teen Titans isn't anywhere near that style.

Not to mention the tonal differences. The DCAU cartoons are serious in tone with goofy moments here and there, while Teen Titans is a goofy cartoon with serious moments.

Also, show me where else in the DCAU someone has an over the top anime expression.

Even if you ignore the technology, there's just too many things that throw the DCAU off entirely.

So if Starfire was already on Earth years before Superman, why did Lois Lane seem somewhat unbelieving when Superman told her of his alien origins?

If the Titans flew through space and went all the way to Tamaran and back at least once, why was it such a big deal when Superman was finally able to retrofit his ship to go into space?

If Robin was an insane-level martial artist, capable of defeating multiple superhumans in hand-to-hand combat, why did he get beaten so easily (repeatedly) in BTAS?

And like Stavros said, WHY WAS THERE NO CROSSOVER?

I mean, in EVERY DCAU show, there are very, very clear references to the DCAU as a whole. Right from the beginning of Superman, you get a reference to Batman ("that nut in Gotham City") as well as multiple crossovers with TNBA. Batman Beyond is basically BTAS 40 years in the future, complete with countless direct continuations of storylines from the DCAU.

Justice League brought in dozens of stories and characters from BTAS, STAS, and Batman Beyond.

Static Shock had a bunch of crossovers and direct references.

So if Teen Titans was intended to be in the DCAU, why are there no firm, direct ties to continuity?

There was no crossover because DC wouldn't let them, plain and simple. Which is why the writers use WIcked Scary, which was in JLU, as an inderect crossover.

If you don't recognize its conitinuity, it's because you just don't want it that way.

Jut as a reminder, we already had a thread for this subject. It was right here.

Back on the actual topic, yeah, the Deus ex Machinca of Cyborg's regeneration always got on my nerves plus his explanation that it was a one time event. Titans East is probably my least favorite of the big season enders.

It was definitely weaker than The End, that's for sure. I get that Cyborg was able to access Brother Blood's mind at the end, but they could have done it better.

Frankly I tend to think anyone who say it is in and that it does fit is just being a little too obsessed with fantasy-booking the show or they're just straight up flaming rational people such as myself. ^_^

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't insult.

Sorry, the smiley face was meant to soften that statement, as though I'm being a little smug in my own opinion. Didn't mean anything by it.

Frankly I tend to think anyone who say it is in and that it does fit is just being a little too obsessed with fantasy-booking the show or they're just straight up flaming rational people such as myself. ^_^

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't insult.

Sorry, the smiley face was meant to soften that statement, as though I'm being a little smug in my own opinion. Didn't mean anything by it.

I understand. I really don't want this to turn into a flame war.

I still think I'm right though. :P

• 2 weeks later...

What about the fact that Dick Grayson is a Kung Fu master with a cape ten times stronger than steel in Teen Titans, but goes back to being the "aw, shucks" sidekick in BTAS?

What about when he's not the "aw, shucks" sidekick when he's Nightwing? Grayson's always drifted between bing the sidekick and his own man, and they do take very different forms. That doesn't make Teen Titans not in continuity. Neither does his outfit, which we get no details of from Batman. Again, you can't compare the technology difference between Teen Titans as a judgement of its continuity. If you do that, then you also have to judge Gotham Nights, Superman, and Static Shock, because they are all way ahead of their level.

If you think about it. BTAS could be out of continuity ( please no replys judging me this is just my opinion). The reason I say this is because they in Gotham Knights they never reference BTAS and the animation style is so much different. They could have just done one Batman cartoon and decided to start a universe starting with Superman because all of the shows after Superman have the same art style (excluding Teen Titans obviously) and another reason I think that is because Kevin Conroy changed his Batman voice a little (not alot but a little.) The only changes between Gotham Knights and He Justice League cartoons are that Batman's cowl has longer ears and the Joker has a better design. Sorry for the rambling but that is just how I am.

in Gotham Knights they never reference BTAS

Yes they do. Mr. Freeze's story continued directly from BTAS and Sub-Zero. Hell, all of the characters were exactly the same except for the new animation models. They were absolutely the same characters in the same storyline; only the show's visual style changed.

That's the biggest reason that I don't think TT works with the DCAU: its characters and storylines aren't related in the slightest to the DCAU. No major villains or heroes cross over except Robin, and he's got an entirely different personality than in BTAS/Gotham Knights. I really don't think it's the same version of the character.

I think Teen Titans is probably on an alternate Earth in the DCAU; it's not in the same direct storyline.

in Gotham Knights they never reference BTAS

Yes they do. Mr. Freeze's story continued directly from BTAS and Sub-Zero. Hell, all of the characters were exactly the same except for the new animation models. They were absolutely the same characters in the same storyline; only the show's visual style changed.

That's the biggest reason that I don't think TT works with the DCAU: its characters and storylines aren't related in the slightest to the DCAU. No major villains or heroes cross over except Robin, and he's got an entirely different personality than in BTAS/Gotham Knights. I really don't think it's the same version of the character.

I think Teen Titans is probably on an alternate Earth in the DCAU; it's not in the same direct storyline.

Well you do have a point there. I'm not saying I don't think that BTAS is out of continuity I'm just saying that I can see it not beingjin continuity. And yes they are the same characters but really the only one who refers back to BTAS is Mr. Freeze but does Mr. Freeze out right say that the reason he is doing all of this is because of the events of BTAS and Sub-Zero?

Sorry I forgot to say this too. You are right thy none of the villains in BTAS crossover to TT nor the other way around but don't you think that in an alternate Earth that has a Robin would therefore have a Batman in this Earth as well and therefore they still could have come in to TT unless Batman has all new villains in this Earth and some of them are the TT villains.

And yes they are the same characters but really the only one who refers back to BTAS is Mr. Freeze but does Mr. Freeze out right say that the reason he is doing all of this is because of the events of BTAS and Sub-Zero?

Yeah, the TV report mentioned the fact that Nora Fries married the same scientist who revived her in Sub-Zero.

Also, other characters refer back to BTAS all the time. Harley and Ivy have the same "relationship." "Old Wounds" acts as a perfect bridge between BTAS and Gotham Knights; it transitions Batgirl and Robin from one series to the next.

Besides, there's a reason that Gotham Knights DVD set is called "Batman: The Animated Series, Volume 4".

Sorry I forgot to say this too. You are right thy none of the villains in BTAS crossover to TT nor the other way around but don't you think that in an alternate Earth that has a Robin would therefore have a Batman in this Earth as well and therefore they still could have come in to TT unless Batman has all new villains in this Earth and some of them are the TT villains.

Yeah, but the point is that they're not actually the same characters, and the same events didn't happen.

And yes they are the same characters but really the only one who refers back to BTAS is Mr. Freeze but does Mr. Freeze out right say that the reason he is doing all of this is because of the events of BTAS and Sub-Zero?

Yeah, the TV report mentioned the fact that Nora Fries married the same scientist who revived her in Sub-Zero.

Also, other characters refer back to BTAS all the time. ""Harley and Ivy have the same "relationship." "Old Wounds" acts as a perfect bridge between BTAS and Gotham Knights; it transitions Batgirl and Robin from one series to the next.

Besides, there's a reason that Gotham Knights DVD set is called "Batman: The Animated Series, Volume 4".

Yeah, but the point is that they're not actually the same characters, and the same events didn't happen.

Ok yeah. I see your point so I will stop arguing.