Satoshi Kon Passes Away

YazzyDream

satoshi-kon-rip.jpg

Satoshi Kon, brilliant animation director for such works as Paprika, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paranoia Agent has passed away at the age of 46 from pancreatic cancer.

Satoshi Kon passed away in Tokyo on Tuesday. He was 46–and in the middle of directing a new film, The Dream Machine. Kon was one of a handful of internationally respected directors of anime films. He started his career as a manga artist and editor for Young Magazine, and then became art designer and key animator on Katsuhiro Otomo and Hiroyuki Kitakubo’s Roujin Z (1991). He then wrote the “Magnetic Rose” sequence in the animated anthology film, Memories (1995). Kon made his directorial debut with Perfect Blue in 1998, followed by Millennium Actress (2001), Tokyo Godfathers (2003), Paprika (2006). His 2004 TV series Paranoia Agent played in the US on Adult Swim. All of his works as a director have been made by Studio Madhouse, where he was a staff director along with Rintaro and Yoshiaki Kawajiri.

Source

Translated Message On His Site

Satoshi Kon's Website

Yume-Miru Kikai Official Site

I thought it was all some sick hoax at first since it hit the news here in the U.S. before it was in Japan. But, oh god, he really did die, and now I feel like crying all over again. It's now mentioned on his website. This is so horrible. He was my favorite director, and I greatly respected him. He was one of the few animation directors that seemed to really hit people with his work. They were all thrilling and psychological, and just fun to watch. I've enjoyed all of his work, and I was looking forward to so so much more.

I wonder now what will happen to the latest movie he was working on Yume-Miru Kikai (The Machine that Dreams). I'll miss him very much.