Episode 84

RSS

This time around the Teen Titans face a deranged punk rocker ("The Lost Episode"), Control Freak ("Episode 257-494"), monsters in the past ("Cyborg the Barbarian"), a resurrected Slade ("Birthmark"), self-doubt ("The Quest"), alien tofu ("Employee of the Month"), and racism ("TROQ"). Also, James does a perfect impersonation of the Newfu leader, and the duo answers a voicemail about Mas y Menos and how they compare to Speedy Gonzales. [ 1:49:11 || 50.0 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_084.mp3

The thing that drove me crazy about Slade "dying" and always made me think he wasn't dead was his overuse of the Doombot... err... Sladebot. It's one of those things I hate in any media because it makes it to where you never really know. The Sladebots really made the episodes "Haunted" and "Birthmark" lose their effect on me at the time because it wasn't that much of a stretch that Slade didn't die. Wasn't until "The End" that it hit, "Oh, he DID die". Robot Duplicates need to be stopped being used.

Another home-run episode guys!

Employee of the Month is probably my favorite episode of Teen Titans so glad to hear it got such an awesome grade. Altogether, the grades pretty much push the point that Season 4 was the highpoint of Teen Titans. As always, a good episode with one nit-pick: You didn't mention Silkie Robin in The Quest. Probably the funniest part of the Let's Dress as Robin gag.

Also, I completely agree with giving The End it's own episode which is what it sound like you're doing for episode 86. An episode that epic deserves it's own slice of the pie, no questions about it.

I'm finally getting around to reading my way through The New Teen Titans - even in the first 15 issues, I noticed bits of things that got used for the show. The kid with the prosthetic arm in "Sum Of His Parts" who looked up to Cyborg because he was a hero with prosthetic limbs? Straight out of TNTT #8 - Cyborg actually started volunteering at his school. His working with handicapped children made in into the last season of Superfriends (The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians) as well. It is interesting, though, reading about Deathstroke - much less Bond villain and much more businessman. He even has a research department - headed, of course, by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant, Bleaker. I am not making this up - Deathstroke the Terminator hired the scientist from the Muppet Show.

Interestingly, my almost 6 year old saw one panel of one comic and immediately recognized it as the Teen Titans. She got even more excited, though, when she saw me reading some of the last of the Wally West run of Flash - her dad has reddish brown hair. Her mother is Asian and medical (Linda Park has medical training as well as journalism). She has red hair, and her little brother has dark hair and more Asian features. She was all set to have us dress up as the Wild Wests for Halloween.

Among the many. Many. Many. references in the Control Freak episode was a non-TV one. In the 80s, when the New Teen Titans was launched, it was the analogue, and the best competitor, to Marvel's X-Men. I should say that the first time I saw a Fastball Special it was Rogue as the pitcher and Colossus as the pitchee, so when Control Freak was driving away in Starfire's car, and she threw a large metal man at him...

One thing that I just picked up on this time - at the end, Raven asked Cyborg if he could get them out, and he gave her a nervous smile and sweated. We then flip to the Tower (built, by the way, by Silas Stone so that his son could spend time with the friends that were finally making him happy), where Robin, Raven, Beast Boy, and Starfire and sitting around drinking coffee - which they don't normally do. Then Cyborg comes up behind Raven - with his arm around a petite young lady with brown hair. They didn't actually get out of the TV by the end of the episode, did they - they were still in a sitcom.

Cyborg the Barbarian was fun, but boy. After all of those references in the previous episode, what I wouldn't have given to have seen his sonic blaster break, so he had to replace it with a chainsaw. ("This is my boomstick!")

For Employee of the Month, did anyone else get a bit of that Greatest Story Never Told/The Zeppo (Season 3 of Buffy) vibe?

Chris

For Employee of the Month, did anyone else get a bit of that Greatest Story Never Told/The Zeppo (Season 3 of Buffy) vibe?

Actually I got two vibes. Solvent Green (IS PEOPLE!) and there is this episode of the Original Star Trek called "A Wolf In The Fold" where the villain winds up inside the Enterprise computer and says in the same high pitched voice various threats like "YOU WILL ALL DIE HORRIBLY!"

About Punk Rocket from the Lost Episode: What's sad about the terrible British accent he was given is that the voice actor Greg Ellis actually IS British and couldn't pull off a good accent. What's even worse is that Ellis actually is a good voice actor, having voiced the dragon Malchior in Teen Titans and Gentleman Ghost in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Also, arguably the worst voice actor to feature in the DCAU voices yet another nominee for Greatest Douchebag in one of the episodes you guys will be reviewing in WFP 87.

• 3 months later...