Peaked careers

slothian

It occured to me that whilst some of the most immortalised people in music died at the height of their fame, a lot of people in the entertainment industry pass their peak and then do works that will never re-capture their glory days. So of all the actros/musicians/celebrities that you consider to have jumped their own personal career shark, at what point would you have someone end their career given that you know what they would then go on to do.

For example, the one we (myself, Will & Chris) discussed in the chat room was Robin Williams:

dc20willsave: Now Robin Williams, I think that One Hour Photo would be a good end point.

slothian: that's the ting

slothian: *thing

slothian: would you allow all the films he made between Good Will Hunting/Insomnia and One Hour Photo?

dc20willsave: Damn, that is a point.

slothian: Or would you call time on his career earlier than One Hour Photo so that the overall average would remain higher?

dc20willsave: Yeah, Good Will Hunting might be the better cut off date for Robin Williams. Patch Adams is a movie that should not exist in this world.

Koete: Flubber is like getting a kick delivered to your career's balls.

dc20willsave: Then was Bicentennial Man castration?

Koete: Sounds fitting.

So choose a celebrity and think of the best career cut-off date to ensure their legendary status.

For example, the one we (myself, Will & Chris) discussed in the chat room was Robin Williams:

World's Greatest Dad would disagree. It's probably his best performance and only made last year.

Robert DeNiro. I would say around Heat was his last hurrah. Nowadays it seems to be all about the money.

Machete.

Al Pacino: Though, he may be a bit harder to pin down than the other two. But he clearly does it for the money now. I was going to say Carlitos way, but that may be a bit too early.

Pacino has been an overactor since Dog Day Afternoon in the mid seventies.

Heath Ledger- The Dark Knight.

Although I confess to having not seen Dr Parnassus.

How does Ledger jump the shark here?

It's really the last film he was ever in. He portrayed on of the greater onscreen villains of all time. Parnassus was finished after his death and is choppy as a result of having lost it's lead halfway through filming.

Forgive me if you don't take your Kick-ass hating advice on that, I've had significant advice that conflicts. ;)

Ha. Yeah, well, I'll be fairer then. It's a film you should see for Ledger, Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell performances, every one else phones it in, and expects the CG to make up for them being lazy.

I would also say, Gilliam is usually an awesome director, Fisher King was alright, and Fear and Loathing was one of my favourite movies ever, however here, he was just plain average at best.

Jim Carrey: Whilst I hear he's meant to be pretty good in I Love You Phillip Morris, I'd be quite happy to end his run with Eternal Sunshine.

Cameron Diaz: Being John Malkovich. Looking back through IMDB, her 90s output is pretty damn strong. Then as soon as the millenium hits, Charlie's Angels.

I'll be interested to see how many actresses get listed in this topic, given that they usually have less stellar roles to fill.

Jim Carrey: Whilst I hear he's meant to be pretty good in I Love You Phillip Morris, I'd be quite happy to end his run with Eternal Sunshine.

Cameron Diaz: Being John Malkovich. Looking back through IMDB, her 90s output is pretty damn strong. Then as soon as the millenium hits, Charlie's Angels.

I'll be interested to see how many actresses get listed in this topic, given that they usually have less stellar roles to fill.

Sandra Bullock would be a good one to do.

But you are spot on with Diaz, and Carrey I totally agree with.

Pacino has been an overactor since Dog Day Afternoon in the mid seventies.

Yeah, but when he was younger you'd put up with it and call it emotion and getting the character, now he's just an old man shouting a lot.

Carrey peaked with Eternal Sunshine but I too think he has far more dramatic potential than he's fulfilling right now.

As long as he doesn't do another Number 23. I think if Chris Nolan used him, that would be a great end point. Not use him in Batman, I mean use him like he used Robin Williams, and showed how sinister this former funny man could be.

Carrey peaked with Eternal Sunshine but I too think he has far more dramatic potential than he's fulfilling right now.

As long as he doesn't do another Number 23. I think if Chris Nolan used him, that would be a great end point. Not use him in Batman, I mean use him like he used Robin Williams, and showed how sinister this former funny man could be.

Why not? Just imagine how great Jim Carrey could be as The Riddler...

Why not? Just imagine how great Jim Carrey could be as The Riddler...

Wow, that would be...

...wait...

...oh, fuck you, Stavros.