Game of Thrones

JackFetch

Watching tonight's episode, it almost feels like it was supposed to have been aired the same night as last week's. Too many of the plot beats from the first hour only went somewhere in the second.

Also, good. HBO can stop with the entire "John Snow is dead" thing despite everyone in the world knowing he was going to get resurrected. Judging from Bran's flashback, I'm assuming we'll get the confirmation that he's a Targareyn by the end of the season.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say, pretty underwhelming start to the season.

Yeah, I watched episode 1 last night and was surprised that's how they ended it. I was expecting something much more revelatory, but I imagine that will be in last night's episode. I mean...

I know she's a witch and I saw her fuck a dude and give birth to a violent shadow demon, dude. Why should it surprise me that she's actually like a hundred years old? A much better way to handle it would have had an episode start with the old lady rising from bed as they're knocking on the door and then putting on the glamour. That would have bee cooler.

Episode 1 of every new season is usually pretty meh. It's a lot of "here's where everyone is" and very little actually happens. The audience gets reminded of where they left off last year and the table gets set.

Having seen episode two, it's pretty evident that it should have been the ending of one. This was the easiest to see plot point in television history.

Loving the Lannister/High Sparrow stuff. Even Bran is back and it didn't turn me off entirely. The Iron Born stuff is pretty cool too. 

I adored the two frivolous giant deaths. I think I will miss Bolton now that he's gone.

Edited by Dread

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I have liked about this season is that, in the past, the series has been happy with traveling at a very slow pace. Now, as we're in the definite back half of the series, everything is starting to move at a comparative break-neck pace.

Also, Arya's entire montage so well edited. It would work wonderfully in any college course on how to edit a scene. BTW, the list shrank.

Can we take a moment to just realize that last night was the first time that Jon and Sansa have interacted since the pilot? Or that this is the first time any two Starks have shared screentime since The Red Wedding?

That aside, holy shit, I stand by what I said about no one wasting time. Between everything heating up between Ramsey and Jon Snow's new faction, Daenerys just going completely murder happy and gaining more loyal followers, and the epic team up of Olena and Cersei, everything was awesome. Which is why I can't wait to see how things get fucked up royally. This is definitely Game of Thrones at it's best.

Oh, and Littlefinger continues to be a suave motherfucker.

Yeah, this one had everything I want in a Game of Thrones episode: a glimmer of hope with Jon and Sansa reuniting; Jonathan Pryce owning a speech (with perfect camerawork); Daenerys burning shit to the ground instead of sitting in a throne room; and Petyr motherfucking Baelish making his grand return by displaying the power he's been able to acquire. If they keep this up, I'll love this season. 

I love that we got Jon and Sansa together so soon. Seriously, that crew could have ridden their horses through the fucking north until the season finale and it would have been watchable, but their reunion (and the following scenes) are the best of the season for me. Yes to Baelish.  Even yes to Daenarys. Great episode.

Agreed. The last scene was almost entirely pointless. 

I can't even remember what the last scene was...which really says something.

Was it Dany's speech? Cool speech and everything, but I've heard this song before.

Was it Dany's speech? Cool speech and everything, but I've heard this song before.

Oh yeah, was it the speech? I feel like she's made that speech at least once a season.

Oh yeah, was it the speech? I feel like she's made that speech at least once a season.

Having the same exact speech she's constantly making be the major follow-up to the undeniably badass Conquest By Immolation moment from the week before is not particularly strong storytelling.