Episode 89

RSS

Look, I'm not going to say everything the man does is perfect. I love Final Crisis (which is full of great Darkseid moments to bring this back to the original e-mail), but I can also say it's flawed. From the titles you've listed, it seems that you prefer his more mainstream work, which is totally cool, everyone likes what they like. Me? I love his mainstream work and his more offbeat work. I just don't see how you can say he writes only for himself when there are people like Des and myself who respond so strongly to what he writes. And we don't respond to it because we're confused and want to be on some Morrison bandwagon, but because we get it and enjoy it.

I don't know if I'd call Aztek and We3 "mainstream." And Arkham Asylum is far from a casual-reader-friendly take on the character.

Keep in mind, I never said everyone that likes Morrison doesn't get it. I said most people, because I know there are guys out there (such as yourself and Des) who do get it and enjoy it.

Yeah, I don't buy the argument of "Morrison's just making it complicated." I do think that Morrison has a tendency to make thinks overly convoluted and therefore cut out a portion of potential readers (the ones who won't get it), but his stuff is definitely smart, as well. It's just more in the realm of the abstract than the literal.

When Morrison's writing is just confusing for no reason, it's borderline-ridiculous. When he's doing things right, however (All-Star Supes, Arkham Asylum, etc), it's some of the best writing seen across the superhero genre, hence his cult-like following.

It can be smart, but sometimes it feels like he's trying too hard.

There don't seem to be many moderate views on Grant Morrison. He's either legendary, or confusing and mediocre. No middle of the road. I'm taking that road, as the truth clearly lies in the middle. No, he's not Stan Lee, but he does have some good works to his name. I've read some of his work, and yes, a lot of it is very complcated. I can see how it could easily turn convoluted. Some of it is still very good, though, so he's not terrible. But, as is so often the case in comics, the truth is in the eye of the reader.

Me, I'm middle of the road, too. The rant I had really comes from the fact that I don't get his (to use KnightWing's wording) "cult-like following."

I try not to crap on writers other people like. That is, unless they really write crap.

"CRAP" sounds like a book Mark Millar would write.

The book suffers from constipation since it always comes out two month later then you were expecting.

Post of the Day! :bowdown:

I don't know if I'd call Aztek and We3 "mainstream." And Arkham Asylum is far from a casual-reader-friendly take on the character.

Compared to works of his like Doom Patrol and The Invisibles? Yes, I would call Aztek and We3 mainstream. You're right though that Arkham Asylum is not, I had thought about adding an "except" to my post.

Keep in mind, I never said everyone that likes Morrison doesn't get it. I said most people, because I know there are guys out there (such as yourself and Des) who do get it and enjoy it.

I don't agree with your "most people" statement, as in my experience, people who said they found stories like Final Crisis and Batman R.I.P. confusing hated them.

Something that needs to be said now that the Teen Titans portion of the podcast is done with. If Teen Titans wasn't in continuity, then the podcast would be over. Instead, we get 11 more awesome episodes of WF!

Unless I fully convince Mike the Lex Luthor is the War Chief. Then James gets incorporated into "Bigger on the Inside" and life is awesome! Yeah!

Though really, I bittersweatly am looking forward to the next 11 episodes.