Episode 94

RSS

Cadmus recruits supposedly reformed villains to stage a suicidal raid on the Watchtower, all in an effort to gain control of the Annihilator ("Task Force X"). Magic across the globe is disrupted when Felix Faust dethrones Hades as the ruler of Tartarus, leaving Wonder Woman and Shayera to set things right ("The Balance"). Huntress wants revenge on Steven Mandragora, but The Question, Green Arrow, and Black Canary all have a say in the matter ("Double Date"). Superman gets really pissed when Captain Marvel accidentally endorses Lex Luthor's run for the White House ("Clash"). And lastly, Shayera teams up with Vixen and Vigilante to save a mining ship, but all is not what it seems ("Hunter's Moon"). Also, Mike has a little fun at a listener's expense, one word haunts Mike across two podcasts, and this episode features the quickest synopsis ever. [ 1:43:46 || 47.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_094.mp3

Yeah, you know, I don't think young Bruce ever saw Terry unmasked. So though he knows there'll be a Batman beyond (pun not intended) him, he's not aware of who that'll be. And furthermore, because that timeline was erased, Bruce might assume that the Terry-Batman won't come to pass.

Yeah, you know, I don't think young Bruce ever saw Terry unmasked. So though he knows there'll be a Batman beyond (pun not intended) him, he's not aware of who that'll be. And furthermore, because that timeline was erased, Bruce might assume that the Terry-Batman won't come to pass.

That's true. Then again, the fact that he knows that in some timeline there was another Batman after him, perhaps it made him more receptive to Terry when he finally did show up on his doorstep.

Guest TFG1Mike

Even though Bruce never saw Terry ... Old Bruce even says he has no memory of ever going to the future. That memory is created at the end of the episode. So while Young Bruce and GL remember the events of the alternate timeline......... they don't know every specific detail. Then again there was more on Warhawk when he gets brought up later.

When it comes to Double Date.... Huntress's backstory is a VERY close match to the backstory of Andrea Beaumont from Mask Of The Phantsm. As far as the way her parents died.

On the whole Mercy thing, Lex obviously wasn't letting on his douchebaggery out and out to anyone but with people in Cadmus. She didn't seem overly happy to work for him again, but I honestly believe she thought he had turned around. So she was working for him yes, but to her perspective he wasn't doing anything wrong.

Even though Bruce never saw Terry ... Old Bruce even says he has no memory of ever going to the future. That memory is created at the end of the episode. So while Young Bruce and GL remember the events of the alternate timeline......... they don't know every specific detail. Then again there was more on Warhawk when he gets brought up later.

When it comes to Double Date.... Huntress's backstory is a VERY close match to the backstory of Andrea Beaumont from Mask Of The Phantsm. As far as the way her parents died.

I think it's up in the air whether the memory was created at the end of the episode, or whether that was meant to be an alternate timeline. From YoungBruce's perspective, however, since he never saw Terry's face or heard his name, and since the older version of himself did not remember traveling in the future, that means that what he saw was at best a possible future, and probably wouldn't dispose him any more kindly to this punk showing up and stealing the Batsuit. If anything, it might make him discourage him more strongly - Batman probably saw Terry drawn and quartered, even if the viewers didn't. If he suspects that that timeline is coming true, he'd probably try to force Terry to retire for his own good.

I'm not sure I see what you see about the parallel between Andrea Beaumont and Helena Bertenelli. First, age 8 vs early 20s makes a huge difference in the impact. Second, I believe Andrea's mother died of natural causes. Finally, Helena's father was considerably more involved with the organization then Andrea's, and probably (in the words of "Chicago") "He had it comin'".

As to exit strategy in Task Force X, although it wasn't stated outright, the fact that Flagg scrambled the destination codes on the teleporter suggests that this was at least an alternative plan, if not their primary goal.

With the Clock King commenting about the League's weakness, I assumed that he was not suggesting that GL, J'onn, and Captain Atom were lightweights so much as saying that hitting the tower when only those three were present was better than hitting it when those three were joined by Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Dr. Fate, Supergirl...you get the point.

With the Clock King commenting about the League's weakness, I assumed that he was not suggesting that GL, J'onn, and Captain Atom were lightweights so much as saying that hitting the tower when only those three were present was better than hitting it when those three were joined by Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Dr. Fate, Supergirl...you get the point.

I think the Watchtower would be at its weakest if, of the main members, it had Batman and Hawkgirl, and of the lesser members it had the majority of the heroes spotlighted in the episode and/or Hawk and Dove. Even then, it would suck to be on the receiving end of Hawkgirl's mace and Batman and the other non-superpowered superheroes would still put a good fight.

Guest TFG1Mike

Chris: I dunno ... thought I saw a connection there. As far as Andrea and Huntress's backstories. They seemed very similar to me at the time. However now that you make these points maybe not as much as I thought.

I think the Watchtower would be at its weakest if, of the main members, it had Batman and Hawkgirl, and of the lesser members it had the majority of the heroes spotlighted in the episode and/or Hawk and Dove. Even then, it would suck to be on the receiving end of Hawkgirl's mace and Batman and the other non-superpowered superheroes would still put a good fight.

Of course, Batman may have figured out what was going on faster - he is Batman after all. Who knows - they may have gotten the projected roster for the next month and this was the most lightly populated period for the foreseeable future. Numbers may be a factor, too. Sure, Gypsy, Vibe, Aztek, Booster, and the Crimson Stranger may not have Superman's power, but the more of them there are, the more likely it is that there will be an encounter with an alarm raised sooner rather than later.

I know Clock King's not Mike's favorite, and I agree that timing Batman's punches does not mean you can go toe to toe with him like in BTAS. I like this portrayal, though. It seemed much more believable, and made him a credible threat.

• 9 months later...