Every comic you've read in 2011

Missy

Avengers Assemble vol 1-Pretty awesome, if a little dated. I love Perez on this almost as much as I love him on Titans. One of the best renditions of the Avengers so far. Highly recommended. It's almost an omnibus!

Comics: 1229

Trades: 35

Graphic Novels: 1

Omnibuses: 5

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manhunter #1-17

I gave this an honest shot. I wanted to read all 38 (or whatever) issues, but I couldn't get past Kate's asshole-ishness, some of the crap dialog, the insulting moments, and generally weak storytelling. For instance, an issue would end, and instead of picking up with the cliffhanger, we'd jump ahead "a few hours." Once, maybe twice, is fine, but it happens too often for me to handle. It comes across like the writer not knowing how to set up then get out of a cliffhanger.

As for the character, fuck her. She's painfully unsympathetic. Yes, she has grown, but not enough. And I refuse to stick with it because she might grow.

This book has major potential, but not with this writer or lead character.

Comic books: 329.5

Trade paperbacks: 26

Graphic novels: 1

I just recently read the trade (Collected? I'm still working on the terminology here. Lol.) edition of Superman: Secret Identity. Really great stuff. Not a big loud Superman type of story. Just sort of quiet and reflective, which really works well with what Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen have done in this book.

I've picked up trade editions of Gotham Central and the second trade of 52. I've read both from my library. And since I really liked them both, granted I had some problems figuring out who a lot of the characters were in 52 but that didn't stop me from enjoying it, I've been meaning to get my own copies of these books.

I also snagged a free trade (collected) edition of Watchmen from a book sale at the library as well. So it'll be nice to go through that again once school has settled down.

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 487, 488, 489, or 490

Animal Man (1988) #3

Animal Man (2011) #1

Doc Savage (1988) #1

Havok & Wolverine: Meltdown #1

John Carter: A Princess of Mars #1

X-Men Legacy #255

Comic books: 335.5

• 2 weeks later...

Formerly Known as the Justice League: A kick-ass read. The world needs more comics like this and more with a dark yet hilarious Batman.

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7: Irresponsible: Something of a filler storyline, but Spider-Man having to go on patrol without a complete costume and meeting the X-Men make it worth a read.

Trade paperbacks: 19

I think I'm EASILY going to break 1500. Maybe even 2000 this year!

I've got a stack of comics upstairs that I've read on top of these but I'll update those another time.

Alpha Flight Vol 2 #1-20+-1: That looks like a math equation. This has its upsides. Funniest thing about it: Bryan Hitch does a fill-in issue because Duncan Rouleau couldn't meet a monthly! IRONY!!!

Alpha Flight vol 3 #1-12: The characters in this are top notch which is a shame because they really tried to make this a farce. It's too damn bad because the comedy doesn't work.

Northstar #1-4: The art on this was awful but the story was pretty good. I think the main complaint people had was that this didn't exploit his gayness. I appreciate the fact that someone in the 90s made a miniseries about a newly outed character and refused to shove the gayness down the readers' throats (yes I am aware of what I just typed). I think it's just a good story that gets his character perfectly. I think the best part about it is that it doesn't dwell on his gayness. The fact that his sister is partially defined by her sexuality (if nymphomaniac nun split personality case is a sexuality type, and I hope it is) doesn't mean that he has to be.

Comics: 1266

Trades: 35

Green Lantern #2-THIS is what I'm talking about. The art was much better, less rushed. I'm not upset with Hal being in the book at this point given the circumstances he is subjected to. This is the only one I see myself reading for the long run.

GL: New Guardians #2-This book is terrible. I am pretty disappointed in Bedard's writing. I've never been the biggest fan of Kirkham's art but it's still fine. This book is gone after the first arc unless issue three wows me.

GL Corps #2-This one is still on the edge for me. I can't stand John Stewart but Guy is characterized amazingly well.

Red Lanterns #2-Growing on me.

Stormwatch #2-Expensive and shiny toilet paper. Fucking awful. Cornell has officially lost me for future projects. I am just going to pretend he wasn't involved in Captain Britain and MI:13. What an embarrassment. This is the WORST Stormwatch ever written. Robbie Morrison's run looks great compared to this tripe.

X-Men Schism #1-5-I already read #1 back when it came out. I had no idea they were switching artists with each issue which is kind of a bummer, because I wanted more Pacheco, but Cho, Davis and Kubert are great replacements. Even Acuna was pretty damned good. Great miniseries, maybe even great enough to get me to grab the follow up X-books in trade. Issue four has the greatest moment that Wolverine and Cyclops have ever experienced together. I don't enjoy his Punisher or the Spidey/Wolvie stuff, but Aaron KNOWS the X-Men. Recommended in trade.

Savage Dragon #172-175-Larsen still firing on all cylinders. I adore this book. If it stops being published, I will likely stop reading comics.

Shadowland: Thunderbolts-Jeff Parker did an even better job fitting into a crossover in this one than he did with Atlas and Dark Reign. Loving this series, but the issues with the extradimensional jump with the Avengers and the origin of Ghost are standouts for the run. Amazing book.

Thunderbolts: Violent Rejection-Superb. Even better than the last one. Satana? Evil Hyperion? Yes, please! This and Avengers Academy are the only things worth reading at Marvel to me. This has led me to reread the whole TBolts run.

Comics: 1280

Trades: 37

Vertigo: First Taste: Collects the first issues of Y: The Last Man, 100 Bullets, Swamp Thing, Transmetropolitan, Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, and Death: The High Cost of Living, respectively. Costs only $4.99. I'd never read any Vertigo before, so this was an awesome gateway book.

How I would rank the issues:

1. Swamp Thing #1

2. Transmetropolitan #1

3. Death: The High Cost of Living #1

4. 100 Bullets #1

5. Y: The Last Man #1

6. Books of Magick: Life During Wartime #1

Of those, the only one I disliked was Books of Magick and the only ones that I actually want to continue are Swamp Thing, Transmet, and Death.

Trade paperbacks: 20

I just bought, but haven't read yet, these little gems.

1. Wonder Woman (New 52 Version) # 1-3. I've heard interesting things about it and I am a huge mythology fan. It should be interesting.

2. Batman: Black & White Volume 1. Read a few of these stories when they were collected in other trades, but it is nice to see them together.

3. Gotham Central Volume 3: On The Freak Beat. Read this one from work (library) and loved, now I've got my own copy. :)

4. Batgirl: Batgirl Rising. The Bryan Q. Miller Batgirl series. I read a few issues in the store and loved his work with the characters and writing style. I do think there is another volume out or coming out.

Trades: Around 21 or 22.

Issues: 12 or so.

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 491, 492, or 493

All-Star Western #1

Aquaman #1

Batman: The Dark Knight #1

Blackhawks #1

The Flash #1

The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men #1

Green Lantern: New Guardians #1

I, Vampire #1

Justice League Dark #1

The Savage Hawkman #1

Superman #1

Teen Titans #1

Voodoo #1

Comic books: 348.5

Spider-Man: Noir - I really enjoyed this. The art really fit the story and was a nice what-if? style story.

Spider-Man: Kraven's First Hunt - Coming into this one cold, I have no idea what is going on in Peter's life and I am not really brought up to speed. Also, for a 4 issue trade, the first issue has nothing to do with the rest of the book.

Spider-Man: Fever - This was a steaming pile of shit. It wasn't a Spider-Man book at all; It was all Dr. Strange. The story was magical and Dr. Strange-y, which I am not a fan of. Add in that the art is absolutely horrible and the colors make my eyes bleed, and this book is the worst one I have read this year.

Totals: Not enough for my liking.

The League Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1: A fun and intelligent romp with loads of references to Victorian literature outside of the material where the main characters come from (ex. the ichthyosaur from the Lidenbrock expedition). My one disappointment is that Mr. Hyde doesn't get much screen time or characterization--other than being a more potty-mouthed version of the Hulk--when Alan Moore has stated that he's one of his favorite creations. Guess I'll have to pick up the next volume to get more of his characterization. Wasn't too crazy about O'Neill's artwork at first but eventually got used to it.

Transmetropolitan, Vol, 1: Back on the Street (#1-6): Fucking gold, full of abundant humor sprinkled with bits of sadness, especially in issues 5 and 6.

Trade paperbacks: 22

Thunderbolts #1-81 + extras-Issues 1-75 are one massive story about Zemo and the redemption of these low-tier villains. Mike and I covered the first issue in 1iS ages ago and I remember loving it. The whole fucking series (barring a few slower arcs) is amazingly well-written by Busiek and then Nicieza during the time he pretty much ruled Marvel. The art, though, is what really surprised me. Bagley did the first 30-40 odd issues straight and then came back for a fill-in or two. All the while doing New Warriors and Ultimate Spider-Man if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe he left to do USM. Regardless. Wonderful. Then Zircher and others picked up the slack and it was consistently awesome. Then issue 75 leaves on a huge cliffhanger which is where I stopped reading more or less before. Issues 76-81 is the famously panned Supervillain Fight Club arc. It is a drastic fucking change. Especially on the cliffhanger from 75 and then a new writer, new and vastly different artist and a completely different direction still dealing with redemption of even more obscure villains. Though it has an amazingly hilarious fight between Spider-Man and Man-Killer where he goes all misogynist on her just to piss her off. I really enjoyed that arc as well, though it didn't even really need to be about supervillains for the most part.

Comics: 1365

I'm going to read all the way through. Up to 81, I have to say it might be the most consistently awesome run on a Marvel book since the original FF run. IT's nowhere near as good, but it's consistently good throughout whereas Marvel has those long runs very few and far between.

New Thunderbolts #1-18:I have to say that I was really unimpressed with this. While Grummett continues to put some of his best work into the book, the story could have been told in six issues easily, with room to spare for quiet character moments.

Comics: 1383

Trasmetropolitan, Vol. 2-4: More awesomeness all around, though I found Ellis' one-off tales in volume 2 more engaging than the three-part murder story (which was still good and had a brilliant set-up for Spider's murder,but had too many antagonists). Next two trades were also spectacular, though Spider's "New Scum" disrupted the flow of the scenes in which he interviews the Beast and the Smiler. This series has been my first real exposure to Ellis and Robertson, and both are becoming favorites of mine. No one can curse as eloquently as Spider and no one can draw a shit-eating grin quite like Robertson can.

Trade paperbacks: 25

Thunderbolts Presents Zemo: Born Better #1-4-both an interesting time-travel tale and a great look at the thirteen generations of Zemos in Marvel's history. Fantastic, really. I also really enjoy Grummett's art here and he's a guy I'm not usually a fan of.

Comics: 1387