Black Panther

JackFetch

I felt that, definitely. I loved his armored look in the middle of the movie, with the horned mask. I think his fight scenes in the panther suit were great, but Marvel has really run the evil mirror image thing to the ground. 

I agree with Will, this had the best, most interesting, supporting cast of any comic book film. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

On 2/19/2018 at 2:46 AM, Venneh said:

Reveal hidden contents

To call it Black Panther fighting evil Black Panther is reductive at best. That’s like saying Thor fighting Loki or Hela is Thor fighting evil Thor.

The entire Killmonger storyline is an honest reckoning of a utopia like Wakanda existing in the context of African/African American history, isolationism and the experience of kids of diaspora feel when they return to their “home” culture. (Tbh, I’m incredibly surprised Marvel let Coogler even make this movie)

Just got back from seeing this a second time. It holds up. The only things I’m not liking is a) us never getting a name/background for the woman who’s with Killmonger before he murders her, and b) the message of the movie wrt Killmonger boiling down to “children of the diaspora will never belong in their home culture (I would liked to have seen a rehabilitation attempt for him, especially given the acknowledging mistakes thing).

But man, that these are my only complaints for a movie are incredibly minor. The action is amazing, the entire cast (except maybe Forrest Whittaker) is a goddamn thirst trap, the design is amazing on every front, the soundtrack is good, and the plot holds up. 

On track to see this a third time, and I’m cool with that. Up there with The Winter Soldier for me.

Re: Eric's girlfriend. Apparently she was gonna be Tilda Johnson but then they cast someone as the same character for the next season of Luke Cage.

Just saw it so I'm still processing that beautiful piece of art, but I do have one question: was Stan Lee's cameo a meta slam against him? He flat out takes credit for another man's work, reaping a financial reward in the process, and never gives due credit. I audibly gasped so loud Shana turned to look at me.

• 5 months later...

Finally got around to watching it. Marvel does a great job of making these things epic, and the scene with the charging rhino at the end was funny.

Here's my main gripe: Why is everyone speaking English inside Wakanda? It really makes no sense in the context of the story. Was there an in-universe explanation that I missed? This bugged me.

6 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Because it's a film made for an English-Speaking audience and subtitles don't sell.

Obviously. I know the real world reason for this.

What I am saying is that in-storyline it does not make sense.

I don't think there is any other reason other than it being a movie making decision. They were already taking a chance on a big blockbuster action movie with 90% black actors set in Africa and they probably didn't want to push their luck by having a ton of dialog in subtitles. 

I don't think it was ever addressed in the movie itself.

Not to mention all the characters of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. After young Peter gets abducted, there should be no English in that film at all, save for the music tracks. There's just no way aliens all speak English.

Come to think of it, the Thor movies too.....

True, in all the other movies it doesn't make sense for everyone to be speaking English. Star Wars suffers from that too, and countless other sci-fi franchises with alien races. Even Lord of the Rings has this problem. The universal translator in Star Trek might be a weak explanation, but at least an explanation exists. That shows more thought than almost any other fiction.

The reason it stuck out for me in Black Panther is the Wakandans are using the language of the British Empire, when Wakanda has never been conquered by outside forces.