Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi

Empire. No Ewoks, better story, it's darker.

This. A fairer contest might be Empire versus New Hope. Empire would still win, but you can't complain about a sci-fi film starring Alec Guinness.

Alec Guinness did.

That's why I used the word "you". :P

Empire had the better ending. Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen in carbonite and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. That's what life is; a series of down endings. All Jedi had were a bunch of muppets.

Empire had the better ending. Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen in carbonite and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. That's what life is; a series of down endings. All Jedi had were a bunch of muppets.

Damn, you beat me to quoting Clerks. That said, Empire is the better film but if I'm looking for something fun to have on in the background, I'll go for Jedi.

Empire is better, not just because of the lack of Ewoks, but because it's the only truly character-driven movie in the Original Trilogy. There's tons of moments that make you fall in love with the characters, not just the plot.

That being said, Jedi is far from a "bad" film; it only pales in comparison to the other two in the trilogy, which are essentially two of the greatest films ever made.

On the ANH vs ESB point, I once heard someone say that "If A New Hope is Star Wars's heart, then Empire is its soul."

When I was younger, I would have said "Return of the Jedi" because it's more action-oriented and has a powerful and ultimately happy ending. As I grew older, however, I started to appreciate the darkness of "The Empire Strikes Back", as well as the scenes with Yoda (the scene in which he lifts the X-Wing out of the bog and Luke says "I don't believe it", and Yoda replies, "That...is why you fail" is one of my favorite film scenes of all time). "Empire" now currently ranks among my favorite movies of all time. Even so, there is still a special place in my heart for "Return".

Empire. No Ewoks, better story, it's darker.

As I grew older, however, I started to appreciate the darkness of "The Empire Strikes Back"

I want to see the black lipstick budget for this thread.

gothkids.jpg